Torrents still slow

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
crazyface
New here

Torrents still slow

Post by crazyface »

I have undertaken all changes updated on previous posts, but I am still getting slow downloads (10-20kbs if that).

I am using the TS100, my router is the BT HomeHub, I have initiated port forwarding on it, but still i am getting slow speeds.

I have changed the upload limit to 11kbs has outlined in previous post. I have limited the Down Load speed to 100kbs on the configuration tab of the Down load manger.

I am using windows xp sp2

please please help
tigerjuju
Starting out

Post by tigerjuju »

It took me a while to figure out for my own QNAP server. You can try the following steps (if not done so already)

1. Get one of the test torrent files from the stick thread to see if the sample file also download at a slow speed. If that sample torrent is downloading fast, it might be just the specific torrent you are trying to download does not have high speed.

2. verify port forwarding is really working. It seems upnp doesn't really work for some ppl. It can be either your home router or the QNAP. Trying to turn off upnp and manually configure port forwarding for your router. Also uncheck the "UPnP NAT port forwarding" option on QNAP. I'm not sure if there are tools you can use to definitely confirm whether your port forwarding is working properly or not, but make sure you have at least configured things correctly on your router and QNAP.

3. Make sure you allowed more than just 1 "Maximum number of downloads at the same time" configure on QNAP. Also, make sure you've configured enough number of port forwards according to that number.

4. Run some speed test for your home internet connect. There are info out there on what max upload speed to set for your torrent base on your internet upload speed. I think the max torrent upload speed should be something like 80% of your internet upload speed. From what I read, the max download speed is usually not as big of factor with torrent download performance. b/c different UI may display or take the speed using different units: KB (kilo-byte) vs Kb (kilo-bit), when you do the math, watch out for the difference between "KB" and Kb" so you will calculate the number correctly. (1 byte = 8 bit).

5. See if there is anything else at your home that is consuming your internet connection. If you have a more advenced router, it may have the QoS feature, which you can use to prioritize the traffic. Though you probably don't want to put your torrent on high priority as the permanent way to run things (it can make your other browsing/email experience unbearable), this might help you with tweaking things around at home.

Good luck

Return to “Download Station and QGet”