Migrating to Raid 1 on a TS-101

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
teitei
Starting out

Migrating to Raid 1 on a TS-101

Post by teitei »

I have decided to implement raid 1 on my TS-101. Having a few problems doing so. I have connected a new Seagate FeeAgent PRo (500gb) via the eSATA interface. I am finding that when I try and initate Q-raid option, Ts-101 just seems to indicate that the syncronisation is at 0%. I saw the eSTATA indicator light flashing sometimes but I think this was due to the browser updating the status of the hdd. Left it running for about 3 hours. No change instatus of synchronisation (still 0%). Can reformat the drive no problem but don't know what is wrong with the Q-raid feature. Any one else see this problem?

Update 9/09.
Tried again. This time I noticed after 6 hrs that the size of available space on the second drive dropped by 20Gb. Still 0% synchronization. There has got to be somethign wrong with the feature.

Tried again and noticed that;
1) transfer rate is quite slow (from 5 to 10mb per second)
2) After 10 mins transfer stops

Restarting NAS starts sync again.
Last edited by teitei on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

Please read Announcement, then we can serve you better.
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
teitei
Starting out

Post by teitei »

Model name :ts-101

Firmware version : 2.1.0 Build 0612

Operation System (OS) :win xp

OS Language : english

Number of HDDs :2

HDD model : hitachi/seagate

HDD capacity: 500gb

RAID configuration :1

Services enabled, e.g. Itunes, web manager, network recycle

External devices :esata drive for raid 1

NAS connection speed/ MTU (in Network Settings>TCP/IP page):100 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes

I restarted TS-101 again and finding that this time it is still transfering data after 1 hr . Estimate transfer rate of 2-5mb/s. The problem seems to be that the synchronisation process appear to stop randomly and not copy to the eSATA drive. Also the transfer rate is very slow. If the process did not stop , it would take about 34 days! (5mb/s)

How long does synchronisation normally take? I have about 250Gb on my primary drive
teitei
Starting out

update 17/09

Post by teitei »

Decided to start from scratch as the syncronization process is a joke. I've been trying to get the ts-101 to synchronize the primary with the new secondary (raid 1 setup) for nearly two weeks with little progress. This process is incredibly slow and you don't get much of an update from the GUI other than watching the amount of usable space slowly drop. The % for syncronization has been stagnant at either 0% to 1%. Synchronization process is also inconsistent. Copying to secondary appears to work for awhile then stops. Anyway, got so frustrated that I decided to copy every thing onto any external hdd I could find (up to 250Gb). Will then reformat the drives, setup raid 1 and then copy everything back. Not sure if this is a problem with my drive as Support has been slow at responding.

Has anyone else had problems migrating to a raid 1 setup (drives mirrored) on a TS-101? I would be keen to know what should actually happen.
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

teitei wrote:Model name :ts-101

Firmware version : 2.1.0 Build 0612

Operation System (OS) :win xp

OS Language : english

Number of HDDs :2

HDD model : hitachi/seagate

HDD capacity: 500gb

RAID configuration :1

Services enabled, e.g. Itunes, web manager, network recycle

External devices :esata drive for raid 1

NAS connection speed/ MTU (in Network Settings>TCP/IP page):100 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes

I restarted TS-101 again and finding that this time it is still transfering data after 1 hr . Estimate transfer rate of 2-5mb/s. The problem seems to be that the synchronisation process appear to stop randomly and not copy to the eSATA drive. Also the transfer rate is very slow. If the process did not stop , it would take about 34 days! (5mb/s)

How long does synchronisation normally take? I have about 250Gb on my primary drive
1. How do you know the throughput is about 2-5mb/sec
2. Can you disable "network recycled bin" and do Q-RAID 1 again?
teitei
Starting out

Post by teitei »

1) I estimate this is the speed as I watch the 'available space' decrease when I look at the eSATA drive screen. the screen updates around 3-5 seconds and the decrement is about 9-10Mb.

2) I will try this tonight. How fast is the syncronisation supposed to be for 250Gb?
teitei
Starting out

results of disabling recycle bin

Post by teitei »

1) disable recycle bin
2) TS-101 continued syncronization process (started 19.04pm)
3) syncronization process ended 100% (02.53am)
4) Mismatch in space used on primary drive ts-101 (476940/317072 mb) and Seagate external ESTATA drive (476940/389107 mb)
5) activity on primary hdd stopped ( no more flashing lights)
6) shutdown ts-101 via front button
7) ts-101 restarts
8) sync process starts again at 0% (started at 3.01am)

What is wrong with this unit?
kent
QNAP Staff

Re: results of disabling recycle bin

Post by kent »

teitei wrote:1) disable recycle bin
2) TS-101 continued syncronization process (started 19.04pm)
3) syncronization process ended 100% (02.53am)
4) Mismatch in space used on primary drive ts-101 (476940/317072 mb) and Seagate external ESTATA drive (476940/389107 mb)
5) activity on primary hdd stopped ( no more flashing lights)
6) shutdown ts-101 via front button
7) ts-101 restarts
8) sync process starts again at 0% (started at 3.01am)

What is wrong with this unit?
1. When you see "syncing", it is not starting from the beginning.
It just updates new data from internal to external HDD.
2. After you restart system, does the used space still mismatch between internal and external HDD?
teitei
Starting out

Post by teitei »

Hi, for those reading this thread, The problem was resolved once I used a USB connection to the the external drive and disabled the Network recycle bin. There appears to be some problems with Q-raid using external HDD via ESATA.
LOUITA
Starting out

QRAID T101

Post by LOUITA »

I am using a USB external HD connect to QNAP T 101 on mode QRAID.
IT is incredible how SLOW is syncing the data.
In almost 20 hours it since 120 G.
How come so slow?
Then I am not able to see what is actually insided the QRAID USB unit.
I am not sure what the T101 is doijng now.

THere is not idea to check how long it will take /.

QNAP please HELP!!!!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”