TS109Pro: Canon PIXMA IP8500 printer doesn't seem to work

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
eskild
Starting out

TS109Pro: Canon PIXMA IP8500 printer doesn't seem to work

Post by eskild »

Hello,

When I connect my Canon PIXMA IP8500 to the TS109Pro, it is recognized and status shows as "Ready".

I then install it as a Network Printer under Windows 2000, which succeeds.

Now, when I try to print, nothing happens; Windows seemingly cannot communicate with the printer properly.

Any clues?

Thanks,

/eskild.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi Eskild,

This is our printer compatibility list and I don't think your printer is currently supported. We apologized for inconveniences occurred but could consider one from the list if you plan to get one in the near future.

Andy
eskild
Starting out

Post by eskild »

Hello again,

I followed the advice in some of the other threads about adding a port myself, and things look better now; I can print.

However, the Canon print monitor application doesn't work. It complains about missing "bidirectional support". In other words, the computer can speak *to* the printer via the QNAP, but the printer cannot respond.

I've checked that bidirectional support is enabled in Windows.

So, I guess the QNAP won't let the printer talk back to the Windows PC.

Can I make that work in any way?

Regards,

/eskild.

PS. The reason the monitor app is important is this: It tells me when my ink tanks are running low.
rmlewis
First post

Post by rmlewis »

Hi
I have exactly the same printer and had a major mission to make it work. On some of my notebooks it worked and connected in an instant but on my main computer the setup took forever.

It would not connect using the QNAP instructions that I used for the other notebooks but I finally got it to connect using a lot of tricky network stuff and connecting it as a network resource.

The only problem I have now is that I ned to have logged onto the NAS device for it to print.

As far as the bidirectional support goes I think this an inbuilt shortcomming of all Print server devices. Mine doesn't work either and I just need to physically check the printer when it doesn't print to determine if it is out of papper or out of ink.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”