Problems Mapping my shared folder

Windows Access Rights Management
weeliano
Starting out

Problems Mapping my shared folder

Post by weeliano »

Hello everyone! I need help here, no matter how many times I tried to setup my QNAP TS109, the shared folders function just won't work. Everytime I reached the "Map Network Drive" step, I keep getting an error message saying that my server cannot be found. The only way I can transfer files is through FTP, but why use FTP when I can just transfer direct?

I tried many times to get the TS109 show up on my network, but I just couldn't. Everything else works fine, I managed to get the Dynamic DNS working, and can hook up through the internet.

What could possibly be wrong here?

What are the steps necessary to "force" the TS109 to share the shared folders?

My TS is connected through a D-Link router which is linked to a cable modem. I have 3 other PCs linked to the router DI-524UP.

Any help deeply appreciated!
Weelian
3oh6

Post by 3oh6 »

welcome weeliano, you will find this forum to be an excellent resource for you and your TS-109 Pro.

in order for the QNAP staff as well as other users like myself to help, we will need a little bit more information about your system. i'm sure others will chime in here with some questions but i will start with the basics.

what firmware version are you running on the TS-109 Pro? (Administration > View System Settings)
what operating system is running on the machine you are trying to map the drive on?
what services are all enabled on the TS-109 Pro (Microsoft Networking, Apple Networking, Web Server, MySQL, etc...)

with this information we should be able to sort you out. it should be something simple you are just overlooking...hopefully anyway.
weeliano
Starting out

Post by weeliano »

Hi 3oh6! Thanks for the reply!

I'll try to be as detailed as possible,

I'm using the TS-190 (not Pro)

I'm using the latest firmware
Version 1.1.1 Build 0831T

My Operating system is WindowsXP Professional and it's my laptop connecting using a Ethernet cable direct to the Router switching port.

I'm using a Static local IP Address with Port Forwarding on my Router(Dlink DI-524UP)

I also realized that the NetBak Replicator cannot locate the Server at all.

Services enabled on the TS-190 are

Microsoft Networking
Enabled Yes
Server Type Standalone Server
Workgroup DREAM
WINS server Enabled Yes
Domain Master Enabled Yes

Apple Networking
Enabled No
Apple Zone Name *

Web File Manager
Enabled Yes
FTP Service
Enabled Yes
Port Number 21
Max Connections 30
Multimedia Station
Enable Multimedia Station Yes
Enable iTunes service Yes
Enable UPnP MediaServer No
Download Station
Enabled Yes
Web Server
Enabled No
Port Number 80
register_globals off
DDNS Service
Enabled Yes
MySQL Server
Enabled No
Enable TCP/IP Networking Yes
Protocol Management
Port Number 8080
weeliano
Starting out

Post by weeliano »

At the risk of sounding like a total NOOB here (which I Totally am :P ). Is it a must to run the TS-109 through a Ethernet Switching port for the shared folders to work?

I mean I can FTP my files now on my Dlink DI-524UP router, it just doesn't show the shared folders.
weeliano
Starting out

Problem fixed!!

Post by weeliano »

It's all due to the bloody FIREWALL, I turned off the Zonelab firewall and all the folders and the server appeared!!!
3oh6

Post by 3oh6 »

then scrap my previous info...i told you it had to be something simple.
weeliano
Starting out

Post by weeliano »

Thanks buddy for your reply! How's the weather in Ontario? Thank god for this forum! Otherwise I'll still be stuck! I think QNAP needs to re-write their manual in case this happens to a NOOBIE like me :lol:
weeliano
Starting out

Post by weeliano »

I just discovered that Zonelabs ZoneAlarm Firewall can be configured to allow the range of local IP addresses assigned by your Router to pass through to your Server, this will enable you to share your folders.

If you still can't see your shared folder, the best way is to manually map it using the Map drive option in Explorer.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

weeliano wrote:Thanks buddy for your reply! How's the weather in Ontario? Thank god for this forum! Otherwise I'll still be stuck! I think QNAP needs to re-write their manual in case this happens to a NOOBIE like me :lol:
Thanks for that weeliano, we are actually updating our manuals for a punch of our products after the new version firmware that's just been released. :D
PatT
First post

Re: Problems Mapping my shared folder

Post by PatT »

Great tip, thanks,
I reconfigured ZoneAlarm /Firewall/Zones and added the IP address of my TS209 as a trusted zone
- I can now map the TS209s drives with no problems..
First_Earth
New here

Post by First_Earth »

I'm having virtually the same problem here except in the past everything worked fine then one day my server dissapeared from the network view.
I've attached an image to this post to show my network, before there was a computer icon like LAUNCH-OCTOPUS (which is the pc) called STORMCALLER(the server) now it doesn't appear and the name of the server wont work to navigate or to map either.
the only way i can navigate or map is using the ip address, which is ok as a workaround but doesn't give me 100% capabilty of mapping directories.
I've deactivated the windows firewall and the router firewall and still no sign of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwilson
Guru

Re:

Post by pwilson »

weeliano wrote:I'm using the TS-190 (not Pro)
I assume you mean TS-109.
weeliano wrote:I'm using the latest firmware Version 1.1.1 Build 0831T
Latest Firmware for TS-109 is "3.3.2 Build0918" Download 3.3.2 Build0918
weeliano wrote:My Operating system is WindowsXP Professional and it's my laptop connecting using a Ethernet cable direct to the Router switching port.

I'm using a Static local IP Address with Port Forwarding on my Router(Dlink DI-524UP)

I also realized that the NetBak Replicator cannot locate the Server at all.

Services enabled on the TS-190 are

Microsoft Networking
Enabled Yes
Server Type Standalone Server
Workgroup DREAM
WINS server Enabled Yes
Domain Master Enabled Yes
Domain Master should probably be disabled. Unless you have a Microsoft Server on your network it should be a WORKGROUP rather than a DOMAIN.
You have WINS enabled so all your machines should be able to find all members of your "DREAM" WORKGROUP. How many devices do you have in your DREAM workgroup?

My guess is that your DEVICES are probably in the "DREAM" workgroup, excepting your NAS which is a member of the "DREAM" domain.

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
P3R
Guru

Re: Re:

Post by P3R »

pwilson wrote:Latest Firmware for TS-109 is "3.3.2 Build0918"...
Patrick look at the dates, it's a thread resurrected from the grave and the post you're responding on is almost 5 years old :wink:

@First_Earth,
Please consider to open a new thread (or find one where the client operating system you have is mentioned) with your issue as posting here only adds confusion. Almost everything have changed by now; Qnap hardware, Qnap software, client operating system versions and it's capabilities. Also when seeking help, always inform the community about what Qnap firmware you're using.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Eraser-EMC2-
Been there, done that

Post by Eraser-EMC2- »

pwilson wrote:You have WINS enabled so all your machines should be able to find all members of your "DREAM" WORKGROUP
By using the WINS-Server you have also to insert the IP-Address of the WINS-Server (NAS) on the Clients,
otherwise it is useless.
The WINS-Server minimize the traffic on the big LAN between Clients and Server for finding of the clients ans shares,
otherwise also a client will/can do the job of a master browser in a Netbios-LAN.
TS-220 , 2x 2TB Samsung, for Backup
tmt
Experience counts

Re: Re:

Post by tmt »

P3R wrote:
pwilson wrote:Latest Firmware for TS-109 is "3.3.2 Build0918"...
Patrick look at the dates, it's a thread resurrected from the grave and the post you're responding on is almost 5 years old :wink:
It is an old thread, but that's the current firmware for the legacy TS-x09 series. It was released about a year ago.
SS-439, Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTS, EXT4, RAID10, 4xHitachi 5K1000
TS-112, 4.1.x Beta, EXT4, 1xHitachi 7K1000

Return to “Windows”