Locking doesn't work over NFS?

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
eskild
Starting out

Locking doesn't work over NFS?

Post by eskild »

Hello,

I've tried to migrate my home dir to the TS-109 Pro (firmware 1.1.0), but I'm running into problems with apps like Thunderbird, Firefox and OpenOffice.

From strace'ing firefox, it appears that (at least) some of the problems are related to file locking -- calls to fcntl64(..., F_SETLK, ...) hang for several seconds when my .mozilla dir is on the 109.

Any ideas, suggestions?

/eskild.
eskild
Starting out

Post by eskild »

Bump... Any news?
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi eskild,

Have you tried to do the same thing onto another PC based Linux machine and got the same result? If yes, then we believe it's something that would normally happen when you perform such operation and does not relate to our system configuration. Thanks.

Andy
eskild
Starting out

Post by eskild »

Have I tried it? Oh yes -- I manage the Linux based network in a company with around 50 employees where we all have homedirs on central Linux (and now Sun) NFS servers; no trouble there in the past six years. So Linux NFS works for sure. I'm even running the same client-side Linux distribution (SuSE 10.2) at work and at home (where I'm using the QNAP).

So it still seems to me this problem must be QNAP-related.

To reproduce it, try running a test with "iozone" (you can download it from http://www.iozone.org/), from a recent Linux distribution with and without record locking against a TS-109Pro, like this:

iozone -a -+l -f /net/ts109export/foo.data ## locking -- doesn't work
iozone -a -f /net/ts109export/foo.data ## NO locking -- works

With locking enabled, iozone effectively hangs. It's what I see with Firefox and the other programs too. It's unbearable!

Good luck, let me know what you find, and let me know if I can help you.
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

eskild wrote:Have I tried it? Oh yes -- I manage the Linux based network in a company with around 50 employees where we all have homedirs on central Linux (and now Sun) NFS servers; no trouble there in the past six years. So Linux NFS works for sure. I'm even running the same client-side Linux distribution (SuSE 10.2) at work and at home (where I'm using the QNAP).

So it still seems to me this problem must be QNAP-related.

To reproduce it, try running a test with "iozone" (you can download it from http://www.iozone.org/), from a recent Linux distribution with and without record locking against a TS-109Pro, like this:

iozone -a -+l -f /net/ts109export/foo.data ## locking -- doesn't work
iozone -a -f /net/ts109export/foo.data ## NO locking -- works

With locking enabled, iozone effectively hangs. It's what I see with Firefox and the other programs too. It's unbearable!

Good luck, let me know what you find, and let me know if I can help you.
Thanks for your feedback 8) . We will check it soon
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
eskild
Starting out

Post by eskild »

I may have a temporary work-around: Adding the "nolock" keyword to the NFS mount options. This (surprise! 8)) disables NFS locking, and my apps no longer hang.

BUT: I do not consider this a usable long-term solution. The qnap still, IMHO, has a bug in that it doesn't properly support NFS locking, so please keep looking at it!
dwit00
New here

Re: Locking doesn't work over NFS?

Post by dwit00 »

any news on this? im stuck with a similar issue trying to share NFS volumes to a VM (running on the same QNAP )
i keep running into file lock issues.

adding "nolock" as a mount option makes no difference

im using im using firmware version 4.3.3
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

really a 10 year old thread?

please open a new thread
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

That's gotta be a new record for this forum. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”