TS-209 Network Connectivity Won't Establish

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Deathstar
Starting out

TS-209 Network Connectivity Won't Establish

Post by Deathstar »

Hi guys,

saturday arrived my TS-209 NAS but after installing the HDDs in the bays I have to say that it's propably fault.

It is directly connected to my unmanaged switch but when I insert the network cable into both components no link will be establish (led's at switch & ts-209 are out).

The switch-port and the network cable are 100% correct (i'm a it-systems-engineer, so i know what i'm talking'bout ;-) )

Now my question: How realistic is it, that my NAS RJ45 Port is broken?

*edit* If I connect it directly to my 100mbit/s router and noch to my 1000mbit/s switch then i have a very unstable connection and the only difference between it are the pins used to transfer the signals, so I think the port will be damaged. I got contact to my seller and he sends me another one to test it.
Jedia
New here

Post by Jedia »

hi deathstar,

did you find your TS-209 on QNAP finder?
if you can find it, i think your RJ-45 is OK.

but if you can't access your TS-209, maybe your PC's IP and TS-209 IP are different gateway. you can try set your nas and PC to DHCP. you can find NAS IP = 169.254.100.100. then you can access TS-209.

good luck. :D :D
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Re: TS-209 Network Connectivity Won't Establish

Post by QNAPRei »

Deathstar wrote:*edit* If I connect it directly to my 100mbit/s router and noch to my 1000mbit/s switch then i have a very unstable connection and the only difference between it are the pins used to transfer the signals, so I think the port will be damaged. I got contact to my seller and he sends me another one to test it.
Have you tested the other NAS? How's it going?

If you don't mind, could you please post (or pm) the serial number of the fault NAS and your country to us? We'll keep this as a reference and do detailed check on your NAS when it's returned to QNAP.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
Deathstar
Starting out

Post by Deathstar »

Jedia wrote:hi deathstar,

did you find your TS-209 on QNAP finder?
if you can find it, i think your RJ-45 is OK.

but if you can't access your TS-209, maybe your PC's IP and TS-209 IP are different gateway. you can try set your nas and PC to DHCP. you can find NAS IP = 169.254.100.100. then you can access TS-209.
Without a link and an IP Adress there won't be way to find it, honey ;)
One time the link established @ 100mbit/s i got an ip from my dhcp-server, found it with qnap finder and so on, but it was a _VERY_ unstable connection, so not for my SOHO.

@QNAPRei:
Well, I hope the NAS is arriving this week, and - of course - I'll send you a report about how it's working. And - when i'm at home - you'll get the serial number of it. Pre-Information: I'm from germany, so you get the country.

Thanks a lot for your support.
Deathstar
Starting out

Post by Deathstar »

estimated time of nas arrival: tomorrow
Deathstar
Starting out

Post by Deathstar »

pre-test: link works,

extended test: next week.
Deathstar
Starting out

Post by Deathstar »

OK, now my Test results:

Installed HDDs same way last time and turned the NAS on.

QNAP Finder found it and so I configured it as my RAID 1 Desktop-Replacement.

Everythings fine so far.

Firmware update now via Webinterface: nothing to complain about.

Performance check up: copied my whole 160gb current raid-1-files to the nas in about 1,5h. very very nice.

After that I configured some programs, that the files they need to work are now at another location and look: perfect work :)

I'm very surprised how nice this thing now works.

But what I noticed: My first NAS wasn't packed in a plastic bag, so I think the shipped me a fault one.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”