Disable the beep

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Kmeister
New here

Disable the beep

Post by Kmeister »

On my 109 there is a very annoying beep everytime you turn it on or off. It would be nice if you could turn of that beep.
mos
Getting the hang of things

Post by mos »

I would agree on this one as well as it also present on the TS-201, and does get annoying everytime I need to turn it off and on again.
NAS: TS-201
Firmware: 2.3.0 build 0825T
Raid: 1
HDD: 2 x 750gb Seagate
Switch: Netgear GS608 Gigabit
glokalpreneur
Starting out

Post by glokalpreneur »

how often do u guys turn that no-noise-very-low-power-consuming-designed-for-always-being-on-and-online-device on or off? ...and why?

frankly - i like the beep since it tells me that the device is ready (boot process completed) or is shutting down.

however think it would be a very good option for the configuration menu "enable/disable beep".
1. Model name - TS-209
2. Firmware version - (2.1.0 Build 0624T)
3. Operation System (OS) - XP sp2
4. OS Language - German
5. Number of HDDs - 2
6. HDD model - SAMSUNG HD501LJ
7. HDD capacity - 500GB
8. RAID configuration - RAID1
9. Services enabled - Microsoft network, FTP, Web File, Multimedia station, iTunes, UPnP, Download station, Webserver, MySQL
10. External devices - none
11. NAS connection speed/ MTU - 100/1500
12. Router - Linksys WRT54GL
tbanucci
New here

Post by tbanucci »

I gotta tell ya, after applying all of these firmware updates in the middle of the night when my baby is sleeping, the beep really stinks. It's really loud and annoying and I don't need it for any reason. You should have it optional in the firmware.
QNAP 209 Pro
RAID 1 Mirroring, 2 500GB disks
Mac OS X 10.4.1 on multiple Macs
Windows XP SP2
Pacman
New here

Post by Pacman »

It is pretty loud, somethings a little more civilised would be nice. Personally I do shut down my whole home network every night then turn it back on in the morning. The router starts up silently, and the UPS announces with a small beep, by comparison the NAS is pretty annoying.
qoonik
New here

Post by qoonik »

Please please please disable this loud terrible sound. Let there be option to disable all beeps. (it drive me crazy)
silas

Re: Disable the beep

Post by silas »

Kmeister wrote:On my 109 there is a very annoying beep everytime you turn it on or off. It would be nice if you could turn of that beep.
is this NAS works as external case for HDD or real NAS system for Your network?
right that's only SOHO solutioon but how often You hear it? do You turn off it when You are going sleep? - if yes that is not working as NAS system!
it works like Your PC with shared directories

and i need to tell that is really important beep
it works as simple TS debuger :) we know when our NAS is shutting down, when it is going to be start and when all is loaded

anyway i do not know what is a full architecture of TS but if this beep works like a beep on pc motherboard than will be little hard to turn it off

but remember... there is always solution :)
christian

Post by christian »

i agree with these peaple that are using there nas as a kind of server and not as a external harddrive ....

btw for all who dont like the beep .... cut the wire ;)
JoeMerchant
Starting out

Post by JoeMerchant »

christian wrote:i agree with these peaple that are using there nas as a kind of server and not as a external harddrive ....

Or, if you're not that brave (to cut the wire), just a bit of tape across the beeper opening will reduce the volume quite a bit.
JoeMerchant
Starting out

Post by JoeMerchant »

christian wrote:i agree with these peaple that are using there nas as a kind of server and not as a external harddrive ....

Or, if you're not that brave (to cut the wire), just a bit of tape across the beeper opening will reduce the volume quite a bit.
JoeMerchant
Starting out

Beep

Post by JoeMerchant »

Return to “Features Wanted”