Remote replication questions

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
msteele
Starting out

Remote replication questions

Post by msteele »

I plan on purchasing (3) TS-101 units for a few of my clients for backup purposes. I want to replicate these to a single TS-209 unit located at my house so I have an off-site backup of their data. However, I have a few questions before I purchase these.

1. I plan on creating multiple partitons on the 209 for the replicated data - one for each client. Is there any problem replicating multiple drives to a single remote unit?

2. Any problems with a TS-101 replicating to a TS-209? I've seen a few other posts with apparent conflicts bettwen models and I need to make sure this won't be an issue.

3. I'd like to be able to initialize the replication locally between the 101 and 209 units so the bulk of the data can be quickly transferred rather than move 20-50 gig over a WAN connection. After that, only the modified data will need to be replicated over the WAN. I'd like to verify the following procedure will work:
(a) Put the 209 on the same local network as the 101 and create a job to replicate the units. Perform the replication.
(b) Move the 209 to the remote site and modify the job on the 101 to reflect this new IP address for the Remote Host.
(c) Change the job for scheduled and incremental replication.

Will the 101 continue to replicate based on the initial sync, or will it try to replace all data since the Remote desination has changed?
Thanks for any assistance.

Mark
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your interest in QNAP products. To answer your questions:
1. I plan on creating multiple partitons on the 209 for the replicated data - one for each client. Is there any problem replicating multiple drives to a single remote unit?
1. No problem. You can create different replication jobs in System Tools/ Remote Replication page for each TS-101. By then the data of different shares and different NASes can be replicated to the TS-209.
2. Any problems with a TS-101 replicating to a TS-209? I've seen a few other posts with apparent conflicts bettwen models and I need to make sure this won't be an issue.
2. TS-101 version 2.1.1 or later supports remote replication to TS-209. You can find the firmware here. The former versions did not implement encrypted replication, therefore they do not support remote replication to TS-209 (or TS-109).

3. The procedure is correct. For (c), you can also create a new job and retain the old one in case you need it for reference.
Will the 101 continue to replicate based on the initial sync, or will it try to replace all data since the Remote desination has changed?
Thanks for any assistance.
When you run remote replication from TS-101 to TS-209, whether over LAN or WAN, the files and folders on both sides are compared before replication is executed. If you have performed replication once, the next time you run remote replication and check the option “Perform incremental replication”, only modified and new files are replicated. Note that the file checking time may vary depending on the data size on the servers and your network environment etc.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
msteele
Starting out

Post by msteele »

Thanks for the info. I had initially posted this in the replication section, but I realized the next day there was a pre-sales section that might have more visibility. Sorry for the double-post.

Mark

Return to “Presales”