TS-x09

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
guppy
Getting the hang of things

TS-x09

Post by guppy »

Welll I've gotten most of my questions answered here:
http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... t=xbox+360

My current "media player" solution is a rather chunky old Linux server with TV out - It's noisy and nor really altogether sleek to look at.. but thanks to mplayer it will play almost anything I can throw at it.

Having found the TS-109 I first saw it as a solution to two propblem; I could get rid of the "TV box" and my 360 could stop collecting dust ;)

So it's a little disheartening that it can only play such a limited subset of formats - has anyone tried to get mplayer to run on the x09?

I mean it's a 500Mhz processor and mplayer can be compiled for arm processors ( which unless I miss my guess the x09's are based on ) so "on the fly" transcoding might be possible...

Ofcourse making mplayer (or well mencoder really) convert the file is rather pointless if twonkey media does not support such behaviour.

So is this possible, and would somebody test it?

Mplayer homepage:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

It's been built for openZarus for some time so I think It will build clean if you have the toolchain setup.

-------

This brings me to the rest of the questions;

how easy is it to get root access to the device? ( built-in / hack / wierd jtag setup )
Is there a "ready to use" cross tool chain ? or a native build environment for the device ?

edit:
alot of very specific questions maybe - but I'd rather not end up with yet another dust collecting device ;)
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi guppy,
A media player device that can locally playback lots of file formats and can transcode if some formats are not directly playable sounds just fantastic i know and yes it 'might' be possible on a 500MHz CPU but video plays smoothly this we can't guranteed provided there might be some other services running at the same time. However, as our NAS currently does not have a TV-out so I guess even if it runs fine you would still need a DMA to work with TV.
how easy is it to get root access to the device? ( built-in / hack / wierd jtag setup )
Is there a "ready to use" cross tool chain ? or a native build environment for the device ?
For these questions I suggest that you can go here have a look.
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
guppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by guppy »

QNAPAndy wrote:Hi guppy,
A media player device that can locally playback lots of file formats and can transcode if some formats are not directly playable sounds just fantastic i know and yes it 'might' be possible on a 500MHz CPU but video plays smoothly this we can't guranteed provided there might be some other services running at the same time. However, as our NAS currently does not have a TV-out so I guess even if it runs fine you would still need a DMA to work with TV.
I think you misunderstood I wanted it to transcode it and then have twonkey stream it to my xbox 360.. What I wanted to know was whether it was at all feasible.

It's a blend of stuff captured via a tv-tuner card so the resolution ain't all that high, but even if the box has enough power to do the transcoding the question remains does twonkey media support "on the fly" transcoding ?
For these questions I suggest that you can go here have a look.
usefull link, thanks
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi guppy,

Got you, your setup is understood. yeah so far we don't have plans for it and you are right for whether Twonky supports it or not we don't know.

Good luck with the resource from the link and we'll be much appreciated if you can kindly provide some howtos here for the QNAPers all around the world once you make it to work.

Andy
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]

Return to “Presales”