Mail functionality

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Decipher
Starting out

Mail functionality

Post by Decipher »

I'm looking for a NAS type replacement for my current web hosting (since the bandwidth usage is so low anyway and I'm the happy owner of a fiber connection :D). I would get a PC to do it, but would like to save on power draw, since a full PC seems a bit overkill for my needs.

My needs are:
FTP (obviously)
HTTP + MySQL + PHP support
Some sort of mail server functionality (POP3 mainly) - since I dont have experience with mailservers, I'm not sure exactly what I need - but it would have to replace my current combined web and mail hosting service.

It is my understanding after reading the forums, that this is not yet present in the QNAP products, yet the FAQ has many entries regarding mail configuration and such.

This leaves me confused - are there any QNAP products in a home user budget that have what I listed above? (the 109 vanilla or pro seem good, apart from this feature missing?)

If it's not officially supported, but can be installed - that's fine too, provided there's a how-to or something somewhere.

Any info appreciated :)

EDIT: I've checked the open turbostation wiki, and apparently you can add whatever you like as long as it will fit in the memory available ... but ... since I'm not a linux wiz, and nobody has pre-compiled a mailserver ... :cry:
Decipher
Starting out

Post by Decipher »

I'll add that even if the support is only planned at this stage - I'd like to know, since I can buy one cheaper than normally next week ;)

If no support is planned - that would be nice to know too.
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

QNAP launched a lot of different products before, including Mail server, Firewall/Security Gateway, All-in-one Gateway (wireless router with NAS), Network DVR, IP camera, etc. We have the technology ready in house, those info in FAQ should be related to these legacy products.

We had some discussion regarding Mail server function on Turbo Station series, however it is not in current roadmap at the moment.

Thanks for comment and suggestion,

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
Decipher
Starting out

Post by Decipher »

Thank you,

Can you confirm that it is at least theoretically possible to compile a mail server myself and run it in the embedded linux? ;) Even if you dont support it, and take no responsibility for doing so.

Also - you list that your company made mail servers before - are any of those products still offered and if so, what are the model numbers and list prices?

Regards,
D.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Decipher,
FTP (obviously)
HTTP + MySQL + PHP support
Some sort of mail server functionality (POP3 mainly) - since I dont have experience with mailservers, I'm not sure exactly what I need - but it would have to replace my current combined web and mail hosting service.
Besides the support for the above mentioned ones we have lots more additional features built-in, home media server, printer server, torrent download server and most important of all the backup functionality, just to name a few.

As for POP3 'mail server functionality' I think what you meant was a 'mail agent' application which does receiving and sending mails for the POP3 a/c you applied from certain hosting company. If yes and although we dont have any mail agent built-in now but it's in our planning stage which can later be supported from firmware updates and also there are a few PHP+MySQL mail agent applications available which are proven to work on our product so I think it's very close to meet your requirement.
If it's not officially supported, but can be installed - that's fine too, provided there's a how-to or something somewhere.
I'll personally come up with one especially for mail agent functionality you requested because i 've installed one and tested for my TS-209 at home and it works like a charm. stay tuned.
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
Decipher
Starting out

Post by Decipher »

I'm not sure I understand what a mail agent does exactly - what I need is to be able to cancel my domain hosting (web and email) and point my domain DNS to the TS-109 instead. So I need it to be collecting my mail so I can POP it from my PC when it's on ... the idea being, that since my PC isn't always on, but the TS is, it would be good (necessary in my case really) to put the mail server functions on the TS instead of the PC.

If a mail agent is only a relay (or as I understand it, basically a mail client?), but doesn't actually receive emails from other relays for later POP3 transfer, then what I need is a full mail server I think.

I dont really care about SMTP though, since I have several ISP based mail accounts I could use to send anyway - if there was a simple way to redirect my non-hosted email to those ISP mailboxes that would be nice, but it seems there isn't.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi Decipher,

Look here a temp solution I am looking into and might be the perm. solution too. I'll try to build it and so you guys can evaluate it and let us know if it runs ok.

stay tuned

Andy
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]

Return to “Presales”