New user comments / requests ;o)

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
lbw
New here

New user comments / requests ;o)

Post by lbw »

Hello,

I purchased the TS-209 primarily for RAID1 and remote access to files (e.g. from the Internet).

Having used it for a few weeks, I am missing the following features. Some have probably been suggested by others.

1. More extensive/informative logging (deletions, past user access, logon attempts, etc.)
2. Alerts in case if incorrect passwords / unauthorized access etc.
3. Ability to see currently connected users / processes
4. Multiple file upload in Web File Manager
5. Easy interface for moving files internally on the NAS (WinSCP is not intuitive and fails in my case with directory/file name errors)
6. Power down/standby for connected USB-drives
7. Forced HD sleep mode (e.g. at night)
8. USB scanner server

Some of these tasks may be achievable using SSH/TTY access or other tools. Any information on this is appreciated.

BR.
LBW
lbw
New here

Re: New user comments / requests ;o)

Post by lbw »

Allow me to elaborate a bit...
lbw wrote:1. More extensive/informative logging (deletions, past user access, logon attempts, etc.)
In particular user logins, login attempts etc. (see 2. below).
lbw wrote:2. Alerts in case if incorrect passwords / unauthorized access etc.
I have enabled administration of my QNAP over the internet. I would sure like to receive emails if someone other than me is trying to login repeatedly (or at all). Also the admin interface should be able to reject or block users trying to brute-force attack the login prompt.
lbw wrote:3. Ability to see currently connected users / processes
Because I am always paranoid when the LEDs are flashing for no apparent reason... ;o)
lbw wrote:4. Multiple file upload in Web File Manager
I would like to be able to upload multiple files using the WFM.
lbw wrote:5. Easy interface for moving files internally on the NAS (WinSCP is not intuitive and fails in my case with directory/file name errors)
I don't know an easy way to structure or manipulate files and folders on the disks. If I map the shares and move files from one share to the other it takes a very long time (network traffic?).
lbw wrote:6. Power down/standby for connected USB-drives
I don't even know if this is possible, but if the TS-209 could somehow spin down my external USB-drive it would be cool, since it appears to be running at full speed all the time.
lbw wrote:7. Forced HD sleep mode (e.g. at night)
As suggested by others...
lbw wrote:8. USB scanner server
I have a USB scanner. It would sure be nice to plug it into my TS-209 and scan from everywhere. I have seen competitor products with this functionality. I don't know if it is possible using software alone.

BR.

LBW
lbw
New here

Post by lbw »

I decided to disable internet access to my NAS, which unfortunately was my primary reason for purchasing it (besides RAID1). I am content with a lot of the features on the TS-209, but eventlogging, alerting and surveillance is greatly lacking when enabling access from the internet!

I am guessing that some of this information is accessible from the shell (apache / web server logs, etc.)?

Tough.

Return to “Features Wanted”