Backup TS-109 to PC [Super Flexible File Synchronizer]

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
i_am_jon
New here

Backup TS-109 to PC [Super Flexible File Synchronizer]

Post by i_am_jon »

I intend to use a TS-109 as my main file server.

However I want to backup the data daily to a drive on a client pc running windows vista. The backup needs to copy only new / updated files as a full backup will be too slow.

Does the included software support this? If not will this be possible using 3'rd party software?
Ron1
Know my way around

Post by Ron1 »

Hi Mate

Why not try other way to back your important data?

TS-109 could backup all the data to the attached external drive automatically.
Also with 2 QNAP NAS, you could backup form 1 to antoher with only changed file.

If you are going to use QNAP NAS as file server, another Vista as a backup server.
I strongly suggest you change to use your Vista as the file server and backup the file to QNAP NAS.
Rock n roll TS-409............
i_am_jon
New here

Post by i_am_jon »

I need the file server for a home network of 4 pc's as well as remote access. The files need to be available to all the machines but I don't want to be running a noisy power hungry pc 24/7.

I don't want to rely on q-raid for backup because the files need to be accessable even if the QNAP NAS it self dies (not just the drive). Q-Raid requires a working QNAP device to recover the data?... I can't afford to buy a second QNAP NAS just for backups.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi Jon,

Yes TS-109 comes with QNAP's own file backup utility called NetBak Replicator. It can be used for backups purely from PC to NAS also, when used in conjunction with another NAS on the network, for remote replication (NAS to NAS).

Thanks

Andy
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
drfruit
Easy as a breeze

Post by drfruit »

I have used this method for a while now, first with a LaCie network HDD, now with my Qnap TS-109 Pro. I use the Qnap as the primary location to save files I work on. This way I can work from any PC or notebook in my home office environment without version conflicts.

I then use Super Flexible File Synchronizer (superflexible.com) on my main PC to automatically make backups every 5 minutes, first to my local Documents directory, then from there to an external USB HDD.

The backups are only in case my network drive ever fails. This has recently happened with my old LaCie network drive, and I could simply copy my local backup directory to the new network drive (my Qnap), change the directory path in Super Flexible File Synchronizer, and go on as per usual.

Hope this helps. I am paranoid about losing any work.
i_am_jon
New here

Post by i_am_jon »

Thanks drfruit.

Just had a play with the Super Flexible trial, looks like it does just what i'm looking for.

I tried a netgear sc101 but it was very unreliable. Hopefuly with the TS-109 I can sort out all my storage and backup needs.
Ron1
Know my way around

Post by Ron1 »

Hi Mate

Glad that you find the way to move data from QNAP to a PC.
It seems here we have 2 member using similar strategy on backup files.
We may serious consider this is the future feature to let user direct backup QNAP to another device with readable format.

Thanks.
Rock n roll TS-409............
csquare65
New here

Backup Qnap to PC/external drive

Post by csquare65 »

QNAPRon wrote:Hi Mate

It seems here we have 2 member using similar strategy on backup files.

Thanks.
Ron, this is also the way I intent to use it.
zodman
Starting out

Post by zodman »

QNAPRon wrote:It seems here we have 2 member using similar strategy on backup files.
We may serious consider this is the future feature to let user direct backup QNAP to another device with readable format.
I also intend using my QNAP in this way. I would love a QNAP solution for this.
chieleman
New here

Re: Backup TS-109 to PC [Super Flexible File Synchronizer]

Post by chieleman »

Same here. I also want to back up from NAS to PC.

Also surprised to see that the Net backup software doesn't allow to choose location of backup on the HD. When I backup a directory with this software it ends up 5 directories deep on my NAS HD. No control there. Silly and old fashioned.

grtx

Michiel
flashdar
Starting out

Re:

Post by flashdar »

drfruit wrote:I have used this method for a while now, first with a LaCie network HDD, now with my Qnap TS-109 Pro. I use the Qnap as the primary location to save files I work on. This way I can work from any PC or notebook in my home office environment without version conflicts.

I then use Super Flexible File Synchronizer (superflexible.com) on my main PC to automatically make backups every 5 minutes, first to my local Documents directory, then from there to an external USB HDD.

The backups are only in case my network drive ever fails. This has recently happened with my old LaCie network drive, and I could simply copy my local backup directory to the new network drive (my Qnap), change the directory path in Super Flexible File Synchronizer, and go on as per usual.

Hope this helps. I am paranoid about losing any work.
I tried to use Super Flexible File Synchronizer with QNap 209 (1.1.5 Build 1221T), but got a very strange trouble : a whole directory was deleted (in fact in my Network Recycled Bin). Super Flexible File Synchronizer has a lot of option, but i made a simple sync (some files to move, some files to add). Take care and make some test.
dardar
psikey
Been there, done that

Post by psikey »

I use Acronis TrueImage 11 and works fine. Do incremental backup of my TS109 Pro to the Hard drive in my PC. As original poster, the files are available to all devices (PC's, PS3 etc.) yet if the QNAP or its hard drive dies I've got all the original files easily accessable from a Windows PC.

With Acronis I can even mount the backup image as a virtual drive & access just like any other drive for individual file recovery. The boot disk for Acronis is actually a self contained Linux installation you can boot your PC with anyway.

Thanks for info on Super Flexible File Synchronizer, I'm going to have a look at this as it sounds great. Think Synchronisation will be better for me than Backup.
petur

Post by petur »

Also check out DSynchronize (download it from http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/)
It is small, free, and has been doing the backups here nicely.

As an alternative, try to find an windows rsync implementation....
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
drfruit
Easy as a breeze

Post by drfruit »

I lost track of this thread...

Just a reminder, if you decide to use or try out Super Flexible File Synchronizer, it has (maybe too) many options. If you want to use it in the way I described above, to centralise your documents on Qnap and make backups to one or more local PC's, it is important to do a left to right synchronisation only (where left is Qnap and right is your local PC).
If you do bi-directional synchronisation with file deleting, and you make a mistake on any of your local PC's (in my case a desktop and a laptop), then this mistake will spread across to the original document location (Qnap) and from there to the other local backup. In fact, bi-directional synchronisation defeats the whole purpose of this backup method and could introduce version conflicts. Also, never work in local documents if you want to keep your sanity.
psikey
Been there, done that

Post by psikey »

Been trying Super Flexible File Synchronizer for a few days now & I've gone & bought it. It can be totally safe if you choose options correctly.

My Reasons:

Acronis True Image is great for full Image Backups & I still use that but the backup files are in an Acronis Image file which you can mount but its not something you would actively use on a hourly/daily basis really.

I have one main PC (doubles up as HTPC) which we use for 90% of all data usage but also a laptop, smart phone, PS3 etc. which I may use to access Music, Pictures, Movies etc. hence the reason I bought the QNAP TS109. Now even with 100 or even Gigabit ethernet data access is much slower than directly off a PC's hard drive & remember, I mentioned the PC is used for 90% of data access.

Super Flexible File Synchronizer has given me the perfect solution.

Rather than have an external drive attched to my QNAP (via USB or eSATA) which we all know isn't a fast option for either Q-Raid1 or Backup, I have the 1TB Samsung drive in the QNAP and the 2nd 1TB Samsung drive (previously in external housing) mounted in my main PC (in addition to its standard 250GB drive for the OS).

Super Flexible File Synchronizer is now used to ensure the Qmultimedia & Public shares on the QNAP are synced to a QNAP folder on the 1TB drive in the PC.

This means my PC accesses data directly & fast off the internal hard drive while the QNAP is available to the other devices & I have duplicate copies of all important data. I have Super Flexible File Synchronizer set to sync each hour & on PC Shutdown.

As to two way Sync, it can be totally safe as you can set up folders where deleted files are copied to rather than immediately deleted. I use the Recyle Folder on the QNAP for this purpose & periodically review & delete (and as you know the Recycle Bin can only be emptied via password entry into the Admin pages :D

Great bit of software.

My Share Structure:

Public - Open to everybody
Qmultimedia (contains my Music, Movies, Pictures) - Read Only Access for family, full for me)
Qusb & Qdownload - As standard
Qbackup - Location for storing full Acronis Backup Images with Admin Only Access.
Recycle Bin - Catch all for deleted files, password protected for deletion.

PS. The first time I used Super Flexible File Synchronizer it took nearly a full day to Sync files from my QNAP to the QNAP folder on the PC drive (about 600GB I think) but this is still much faster than the Q-Raid1 option which I was never too confident about especially being a Linux newbie & not confident at inspecting the Q-Raid drive via terminal service.

Return to “Backup & Restore”