SMART Information Now Shows As NORMAL

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Jamil
Know my way around

Re: SMART Information Now Shows As NORMAL

Post by Jamil »

Jamil wrote:I also asked WDC support about the different drive models and firmware versions I have. They've not responded, so I'm still unsure. The RMA I received is the same model as the prevous drive. My guess is for WD RE4 drives, the WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 model is a newer version of the drive. I've noticed that all four WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives run cooler than the WD2002FYPS-01U1B1.
WDC responded to my question in regards to the model number variances. I guessed wrong. It turns out that the last six characters only represent the date and location of manufacture. So, four of my drives are running an older firmware, which may explain why one drive was ejected.

It looks like I'll have to update firmware for these drives.
Jamil
Know my way around

Post by Jamil »

I just got a response from WDC on my firmware questions. I'm really not sure what to do now.

According to the tech, the two models I have are at the highest firmware available. The WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives cannot use firmware 04.05G05. Accordng to the tech, the drives should operate with no problem as is.

I thought the lesser firmware of four drives was the reason for HDD #4 being ejected from the RAID previously. I had found another thread in regards to WD RE4 drives having issues. He told me to make sure the QNAP has its latest firmware, which it does.

So...when HDD4 was ejected, did it automatically remount itself? I really saw no other communication in regards to this (nothing even logged about it).
Jamil
Know my way around

Post by Jamil »

HDD4 was just ejected again while streaming audio files. Can anyone comment on exactly what this means? It appears that drive four is still active.

The NAS makes several loud beeps with nothing at all logged. I only see that HDD4 has been ejected from checking the error message on its front panel display.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Get QNAP tech support on this, I'm sure they can find a logfile somewhere saying something about this...
Create a ticket, and contact them via Skype or MSN.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Jamil
Know my way around

Post by Jamil »

I submitted a ticket to QNAP support, and a technician connected to my NAS to take a look. Why HDD4 is being ejected appears to be a mystery. Nothing at all is logged about it anywhere. The tech stated that all hard drives are functioning without issue after taking a look and there was nothing at all logged about the HDD4 Ejected message that still displays on the NAS.

I thought the issue may be related to the firmware differences, and a WDC support tech suggested that I trade the four WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives for four WD2002FYPS-01U1B1 running firmware 04.05G05. I called WDC yesterday in an attempt to do this, but I was told over the phone that WD2002FYPS-01U1B1 are no longer available. The WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives have replaced them, and 04.05G01 is the latest firmware available for them.

I added this info in the WDC support ticket I had opened, and now the ticket has been escalated. But then, I have no idea if the hard drive revision differences are even the issue. At the moment, no one has an idea what the issue is.
Jamil
Know my way around

Post by Jamil »

I got a response from WDC support on this issue. I will be able to swap the four WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives for four WD2002FYPS-01U1B1. I imagine I will get them next week some time. It will probably take over 24 hours to swap the four drives and rebuild the raid (I have to swap them two at a time, since I am running RAID 6).

I will post a follow-up on whether the issue was introduced somehow by the latest revision of the RE4 hard drives.
david63
First post

Post by david63 »

Hello Jamil

Did you swap out the drives with WD and get the ones with the correct firmware. Also did it fix your problem?
Jamil
Know my way around

Post by Jamil »

Long story short, I got five RMA'd hard drives from Western Digital just yesterday. All five of these drives are WD2002FYPS-01U1B1, but they are not running the latest firmware. They are all running 04.05G04 instead of 04.05G05.

The person at WD who had been helping me with this exchange emailed me a firmware update. I successfully updated one drive to the latest firmware. However, I received odd messages when I attempted to update two other drives. I am going to try updating the firmware again for all four drives in need after my RAID is rebuilt for the second time.

The thing here is that not one person has told me that the WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 hard drives are the issue. This might all be a waste of my time...
Jamil
Know my way around

Post by Jamil »

I don't believe this. I got five replacement RMA hard drives, and I have to send every one of them back. The single one that I was able to update to the latest firmware is now having severe read errors.

I cannot even run WD's own Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on it. When I do, I see this:

Code: Select all

PLEASE CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND REPORT THE FOLLOWING ERROR...

DLGDIAG 5.19 - Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
  UNKNOWN ERROR

ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0141
What poor reliability for enterprise hard drives! Even the RMAs arrive with one foot in the grave.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”