[Discussion] USB printer configuration

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
IanSeward
First post

Re: [Discussion] USB printer configuration

Post by IanSeward »

I have a Canon ip4700 and can't get any communication back from the printer as well. Has anyone got the ip4700 working with a QNAP TS119?

Thanks

Ian
Fritsjof
Starting out

Post by Fritsjof »

I want to try to hook up my printer to the NAS in a different way because it's VERY slow (takes minutes to go from print assignment to actual printing).

I have deleted the network printer and disconnected it from the NAS.
4. Click the Ports tab and delete the ports configured for the previous network printer (if any).
I get:
Selected port cannot be deleted. The request is not supported.
(I also get this message when trying to configure the port).

I have already rebooted but get the same error. Any ideas?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@Fritsjof

What OS?
What kind of port is this you are trying to configure or to remove?

Leaving the previously used port in thesytem config should not hurt.

@all

There is no bi-directional communication supported.
Fritsjof
Starting out

Post by Fritsjof »

Was just about to update my post.

USB port on the Qnap TS-410

I got both a Brother printer and a Dymo labelwriter. Both work be it VERY slow, literally takes minutes from the task to print to the actual printing.

I have added the printers as network printers and now try to delete:
USB002 Virtual printer port for USB

but wonder now if I only need to delete the "LAN manager printer port" ? (which I can).

-edit-
Ok this was the case (delete LAN manager printer port) and then followed the guide by QNAPRei (first post).
Works perfectly for XP 64bit!

Thanks
ReedMikel
Starting out

Post by ReedMikel »

Fritsjof wrote:I want to try to hook up my printer to the NAS in a different way because it's VERY slow (takes minutes to go from print assignment to actual printing).
Has QNAP ever addressed the slowness of printing on their NAS units? I am searching these forums for older messages complaining of slowness to see how widespread the slowness issue is? Hoping if I make a few posts maybe I'll get an answer from QNAP tech support?
ReedMikel
Starting out

Re: How to configure USB printer

Post by ReedMikel »

Ronson1909 wrote:Thanks. This guide (with minor modifications: work as admin etc.) also works for Vista.
AND: The printer is now much faster than before (I installed the printer as network printer before), especially in Adobe Acrobat (when rendering the small preview).
QNAPRei wrote:Please follow the steps below to configure your printer if your NAS detects the printer on the USB printer page but the printer icon is not shown in the share folder (via samba); or if your printer is very slow.

Verified for Windows XP users only:

1. Open Printers and Faxes.
2. Delete the existing network printer (if any).
3. Right click the blank area in the Printers and Faxes window. Select Server Properties.
4. Click the Ports tab and delete the ports configured for the previous network printer (if any).
5. Restart your PC.
6. Open Printers and Faxes.
7. Click Add a printer and click Next.
8. Select Local printer attached to this computer. Click Next.
9. Click Create a new port and select Local Port from the drop-down menu. Click Next.
10. Enter the port name. The format is \\NAS IP\NAS namepr, e.g. NAS IP= 192.168.1.1, NAS name= myNAS, the link is \\192.168.1.1\myNASpr.
11. Install the printer driver.
12. Print a test page.
After years of accepting slow printing from my QNAP TS-219P+, HP LJet 3030 and Vista Ultimate x64 computer, I tried the above steps and it worked! Print dialogue now opens immediately, even if this printer is the default in Windows. Print speed is now comparable to if I connected printer directly to computer :)
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Regretfully @ReedMikel, the above does not work for me. Every step can be completed successfully, but printing a test page (or any other page) just end up in the print queue on the NAS where it sits forever with status "printing". I know that the printer (HP Office G85) works fine when connected directly to a computer. I think bidirectional communication support (as mentioned by @schumaku) is what it takes to get many of these printers to work, but to hope for bi-directional support is probably not realistic...?
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”