can I go from 2 disk spanned volume to RAID?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Lakes_Puma
Getting the hang of things

can I go from 2 disk spanned volume to RAID?

Post by Lakes_Puma »

I currently have a TS-239 and am looking at getting a TS-439

My 239 have 2 1TB drives spanned into a single 2TB array

I understand that I can 'just pop' the drives into the 439 and have exactly the same setup in the 439, but can I then add more drives (say 2 more 1TB) and use the drives as RAID 5?
TS-453D 4 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf RAID 5
TS-251D 2 x 4TB Seagate SkyHawk RAID 1
P3R
Guru

Re: can I go from 2 disk spanned volume to RAID?

Post by P3R »

Lakes_Puma
Getting the hang of things

Post by Lakes_Puma »

Thanks for the reply, but DAMN!

What's going to be the best way of migrating then?

If I got a single 2TB drive in the 439 could I use replication to copy all the data across, I don't mind too much having to install SSOTS etc on the 439.

Then can I add a further 2TB drive at a later date to get RAID 1?
TS-453D 4 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf RAID 5
TS-251D 2 x 4TB Seagate SkyHawk RAID 1
caveprod
Starting out

Post by caveprod »

In the last couple of days I added two deathstars to my 439. I had two separate volumes 1 and 2, before that. (which is an advantage I had over you) I then raid 5'd disk 1 and added 3&4 to make up the raid 5 array. When done, I moved the contents of 2 to the 3 disk array and then added disk 2 to make up a 4 disk array. Worked fine, but without the raid disk support its a problem. You've got stuff saved in the linux fs, like users that you dont want to lose.

My guess is that you need to smartly back up your linux data, maybe on d 3 & 4, reformat disk 1 & maybe 2, then copy disk 3&4 back to 1, or elsewhere. That leaves 3 & 4 ready to be migrated onto the array with disk 1
QNAP 439 Pro II | 4 * 2 TB Hitachi deathstars | RAID 5
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Lakes_Puma wrote:What's going to be the best way of migrating then?
The details depend on what exactly you want the end result to look like and what you can afford but basically it will in some way involve a copy of your data onto the new volume.
If I got a single 2TB drive in the 439 could I use replication to copy all the data across, I don't mind too much having to install SSOTS etc on the 439.

Then can I add a further 2TB drive at a later date to get RAID 1?
Yes that would work. One single disk is the ultimate starting point for a migration since it can be migrated into RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6 or with firmware 3.4.0 (currently in beta testing) RAID 10.

Any major administration (like what we talk about here) can go wrong, so I would recommend getting a separate backup as well. You should really always have a backup of any data that is vital to you. If you don't have that you will eventually loose data.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”