Twonky 6.0.1 Final Release (Update QPKG please)?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
mertol
Starting out

Re: Twonky 6.0.1 Final Release (Update QPKG please)?

Post by mertol »

I didnt find the time to test it with the samsung TV's. Does FF and rewind work?

Mertol
mertol
Starting out

Post by mertol »

I tried with a Samsung 46c750 with pretty arge MK's. (17+ GB's) It's amazing how capable those samsung's internal media player is.
No problems other than FF and rewind not working. At least pause is working.

Unfortunetly subtitles doesnt seem to be working for me. I tried couple of files that did work when connected to directly to the TV.

With 17 GB MKV's CPU utilization n my humble TS109pro II is below %20 and rarely going above %30.

Did any one , get subtitles working with Samsung TV's? How?

Mertol
JoeJoeJoe
Easy as a breeze

Post by JoeJoeJoe »

Does it transcode mkvs into xvid/avi?
lentzit
Been there, done that

Post by lentzit »

Not for me.... There are choices though to do some converting but they are greyed out ie. Not available
-TVS-663/16GB QTS 4.2 , RAID5
-QGenie QG-103N - Wireless Storage in Classroom Environment
-Services: WEB | Virtual Station | QSYNC | FTP | SSL | Private Cloud | Photo Station
-Using it for my blog (http://blog.lentzit.com)
ads000
New here

Post by ads000 »

FF and rewind not working either on my Samsung PS58c7000 with Twonky 6.0.29 streaming from TS-209 II for MKV files. Some avi. files are fine though. I believe it is a Samsung TV's issue as the user manual does mention that some of these function may not work depending on the codec of the video file.

Btw, 90% of my MKVs are playable by the above TV (with pause, play and stop functioning) but the remaining comes up with an Audio Codec error. A Samsung TV compatability issue, not Twonky's fault.

Subtitles are NOT displaying through streaming irrespect of the container or codec type. I recall reading the changes log for Twonky 6.0.30 that it addresses the subtitle issue for Samsung. However, I also recall reports from earler adopters that it still doesn't work even in 6.0.30.

On a side note, even with the working subtitles, some languages are still not supported by the TV. e.g. Korean and Japanese. So those subtitles would still be displayed but incorrectly decoded. One would have thought that a Korean brand TV would at the very least support Korean subtitles?...lol
JoeJoeJoe
Easy as a breeze

Post by JoeJoeJoe »

lentzit wrote:Not for me.... There are choices though to do some converting but they are greyed out ie. Not available
Thanks, not for me either. I installed the new version, it works ok. Its not that good at updating the video database though, even though I set it at every 60 minutes.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

60 Minutes just means it'll scan your media every 60 minutes and thus needlessly take up some of the system resources. I find it best to set rescan to zero and do a manual rescan after I've added anything new; if I've not added anything, there's no point in it rescanning for it. This is much less of an issue with T6 as the rescan works in a different way, but for T5, it actually had to rescan all the media files and thus took lots of CPU.

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
mertol
Starting out

Post by mertol »

ads000 wrote:FF and rewind not working either on my Samsung PS58c7000 with Twonky 6.0.29 streaming from TS-209 II for MKV files. Some avi. files are fine though. I believe it is a Samsung TV's issue as the user manual does mention that some of these function may not work depending on the codec of the video file.

Btw, 90% of my MKVs are playable by the above TV (with pause, play and stop functioning) but the remaining comes up with an Audio Codec error. A Samsung TV compatability issue, not Twonky's fault.

Subtitles are NOT displaying through streaming irrespect of the container or codec type. I recall reading the changes log for Twonky 6.0.30 that it addresses the subtitle issue for Samsung. However, I also recall reports from earler adopters that it still doesn't work even in 6.0.30.

On a side note, even with the working subtitles, some languages are still not supported by the TV. e.g. Korean and Japanese. So those subtitles would still be displayed but incorrectly decoded. One would have thought that a Korean brand TV would at the very least support Korean subtitles?...lol

Ok, found a solution. direction pad can be used for FF and rewind (left and right). I didn't notice that.
Samsung TV's can FF and rewind with many DNLA servers so the problem shoudnt be on the TV side.

The only thing I am missing is subtitles right now. Any chance for 0.30 Beta?

PS: Media conversions require a lot of CPU power an I think that even dualcore ATOM's might nt be able to convert most video's on the fly.
ads000
New here

Post by ads000 »

Hi Mertol,

Are you suggesting that because Samsung TV can FF/Rewind on DLAN servers with some container formats such as .avi, then it should work with .mkv and thus it's not an issue on the TV side?

If that's the case then plugging the .mkv files directly to the TV through USB should eliminate the problem? However, it still wouldn't FF/Rewind on the those .mkv files. This tells me it's an issue with how the in-built Samsung TV media player deals with the files.
mertol
Starting out

Post by mertol »

ads000 wrote:Hi Mertol,

Are you suggesting that because Samsung TV can FF/Rewind on DLAN servers with some container formats such as .avi, then it should work with .mkv and thus it's not an issue on the TV side?

If that's the case then plugging the .mkv files directly to the TV through USB should eliminate the problem? However, it still wouldn't FF/Rewind on the those .mkv files. This tells me it's an issue with how the in-built Samsung TV media player deals with the files.
I dont know where you get the intention that it doesnt work when a usb disk is attached to the TV, but it does indeed work flawlessly. I tried it couple of seconds ago with several MKV's, without any problem. My TV is 46c750. So this clearly not an issue on the TV side.

PS: However I am happy with the directional pads skipping ability, not like FF/Rewind but OK for me. All I need is subtitles.

Mertol
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
mertol
Starting out

Post by mertol »

Still not showing subtitles on Samsung TV's. Has anybdy managed to do subtitles on samsung ?

Mertol
fstrange
Been there, done that

Post by fstrange »

TMS 6.0.30 QPKG is out. IMHO - shouldn't we close this thread and start new ones with more narrow content like subtitles etc.?
Regards, Fredrik Strange
QNAP TVS-473 [4.3.6.0993 build 2019/07/04], 2 x 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD [RAID1], 2 x 8 TB WD Red WD80EFZX [RAID1]
QNAP TS-559 Pro II [4.2.6 Build 20171018], 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST32000641AS [RAID 1], 3 x 2 TB Seagate ST32000641AS [RAID 5]
[Plex, CrashPlan 6.9.4, Resilio]
ads000
New here

Post by ads000 »

Mertol,

You are right indeed. FF/Rewind does work if connected through USB directly to the TV. Either .mkv or .avi. My bad. Streaming doesn't work with FF/Rewind though on .mkv files. But thank you for the tips on using the directional pad. Oh and subtitle is still not working even with 6.0.30 as you had mentioned.
theBigD23
Starting out

Post by theBigD23 »

Hello... I just installed the 6.0.30 QPKG. I thought that this new release would support thumbnails of images in videos. I'm on an Xbox 360 and thumbnails do not show up. Any idea? I'm on a 209 Pro.

Return to “Media Streaming”