Question before buying : Remote Replication over internet ?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
rocco
New here

Question before buying : Remote Replication over internet ?

Post by rocco »

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying 1 TS-209 (with 2 mirrored disks) + 1 TS-109 which would be located on another site and configured for remote replication.
Both location would have ADSL connection with at least 6Mbps downstream and from 700kbps to 1Mbps upstream.

I'm just wondering if remote replication is realistic with this bandwidth or if it'll be too slow.

Any insight would be much appreciated and would help be to finalize my decision.

Thanks
R.
rocco
New here

up

Post by rocco »

Hi

I really consider to buy a NAS the next week-end and any insight on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Eric
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi Rocco,
I'm just wondering if remote replication is realistic with this bandwidth or if it'll be too slow.
Well this will be the speed remote replication is going to run on and I am not sure how much data is going to be sync for the first time but what i would suggest is that to perform replication within a LAN environment before shifting the TS-109 to another site just to get it done quicker. From then you can just do incremental back up and set the time to like 2AM when no one is using the Internet. I hope this answers your question.

Andy
rocco
New here

thanks

Post by rocco »

Thanks Andy.

Indeed I was thinking in doing the first replication on a lan just to ensure that tens of gigabytes will replicate quite smoothly.

You speak about backup. My understanding is that remote replication is using rsync, thus I assume it just copy new files or changed files to the other disk, both ways. Am I right ?

Thanks
Eric
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

That's correct
rocco
New here

Post by rocco »

Great, thanks
leonix
Starting out

rsync

Post by leonix »

I want to backup large files between 2 TS109 (over a slow connection).
You use rsync for the replication. Is it a real rsync-connection? Does it transfer only the changed parts of the large files?

(the large file contains a filesystem, and I only want to copy that
large file. This file will be different only at some positions)

Leo.

Return to “Presales”