Can't delete files from Qdownload!

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
kc
Starting out

Can't delete files from Qdownload!

Post by kc »

Under Network Share Management> Access Control> I have everyone set to Full Access, but very time I tru to delete files from the server I get "access denied" (even using dos) or the files appear to be deleted (i.e. Windows XP/Vista shows deleting...) but then then files just re-apear). What can I do?
TS201
Firmware: U_TS-201_20070612-2.1.0.TELNET
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

- Is your issue only in "Qdownload" volume? I suggest that you telnet into system, and check file/folder attribute in Qdownload
You can use command "ls -al /share/Qdownload" to check it.
The attribute of folder should be 777, and files should be 666

- Do you enable "Network recycled bin" function? If yes, then please disable it and check if you can delete files.

- If you still can't delete files, you can directly telnet into system, and then use command "rm" to remove files.
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

Kent - thanks for getting back to me.

My setup:
Netgear DG834GT router
3 PCs running Windows Vista Ultimate
1 PC running XP (SP2)
TS201 (2 x Samsung 500MB drives - Striped RAID)
Brother printer attached to the USB port (MFC 640CW - reported by TS201 as "unknown", but seems to work - albeit VERY slow to respond)

The "Network recycled bin" function is not enabled.

There are many others issues, but the Qdownload folder is the most consistent. I've only ever been able to delete folders twice, but not at all recently. At some time in the past I was able to rename some of the folders but not delete their contents.

2. In general file operations take forever and often time out (e.g. trying to move to 85mb files from one folder to another in the backups folder windows report several thousand days as the estimated remaining time!). Anything involving deletion or moving usually comes back with "Access Denied" or shows as deleted for a few seconds and then the folders / files reappear.

Among the other issues:

2. The server is VERY slow to appear in any list of network devices and often does not appear at all unless I type the \\name

3. The list downloads in progress often flashes up when I first log into the download page but then disappears as is replaced with "no data". (QGet does not pick them up at all)

4. I cannot get the backup software to do incremental backups (when it monitors, it re-copies old files, no matter what setting, so ends up taking a long time and using system resources)

I'm not sure how to "telnet into system". If that inolves remotely logging in I may have trouble because I have had no success reaching the NAS via the DynDNS assigned IP.

Any help greatly appreciated

EDIT: I suppose I should have put the other issues into the other sub-forums, but I'me wondering, if some are performance related
TS201
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

1. The slow printing issue, you can refer it http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/u ... 10196.html

2. The server is VERY slow to appear in any list of network devices. I suggest you can enable "domain master" in the web setting.
Go to "Network Setting" -> "Microsoft Networking"

3. About the list downloads issue, do you use IE? And what is the version of browser?

4. Do you use NetBak or other backup software?

5. In dos prompt console, type "telnet IP 13131" to telnet into system.

6. About can't remove files in Qdownload, can you help to check the file permission when you telnet into system?
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

Thanks for your reply
kent wrote:1. The slow printing issue, you can refer it http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/u ... 10196.html
I've already set it up as a local port but it does not make any difference.
kent wrote:2. The server is VERY slow to appear in any list of network devices. I suggest you can enable "domain master" in the web setting.
Go to "Network Setting" -> "Microsoft Networking"
Maybe an improvement but still unusably slow - just attempted moving 15 files from qdownload to backup folder and it reports 2 hours and 16 minutes remaining - I assumed since they're on the same drive it would just modify the FAT reference to the file location like any other disk rather than perform a copy...?
kent wrote:3. About the list downloads issue, do you use IE? And what is the version of browser?
I'ved used Ie7 and Firefox 2 - It doesn't make any difference - same behaviour for both browsers - Initially flashes up the list and then reaplces with "No data"

kent wrote:34. Do you use NetBak or other backup software?
NetBak
kent wrote: 5. In dos prompt console, type "telnet IP 13131" to telnet into system.

I get this response

Code: Select all

C:\Users\kc>telnet IP 13131
'telnet' is not recognized as an
operable program or batch file.
kent wrote:6. About can't remove files in Qdownload, can you help to check the file permission when you telnet into system?
See above
TS201
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

Ah, it seems I needed to "Turn on" the the telnet client in Vista...Hovever, now I get:

C:\Users\kc>telnet IP 13131
Connecting To IP...Could not open connection to the host, on port 13131: Connect failed
TS201
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

Use xxx.xxx.xxx.xx to replace "IP", thanks.
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

C:\Users\kc>telnet 192.168.0.2
Connecting To 192.168.0.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\Users\kc>telnet 192.168.0.2:6000
Connecting To 192.168.0.2:6000...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\Users\kc>telnet 192.168.0.2:13131
Connecting To 192.168.0.2:13131...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
TS201
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

kc wrote:

C:\Users\kc>telnet 192.168.0.2
Connecting To 192.168.0.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\Users\kc>telnet 192.168.0.2:6000
Connecting To 192.168.0.2:6000...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\Users\kc>telnet 192.168.0.2:13131
Connecting To 192.168.0.2:13131...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
Please remove ":" character.
Use "telnet 192.168.0.2 13131"
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

Sorry, its 20 years since I used Unix.

Here's what I get...

[/] # ls -al /share/Qdownload
lrwxrwxrwx    1 administ administ       18 Sep  5 12:15 /share/Qdownload -> MD0_DATA/Qdownload
[/] #
TS201
marct
Starting out

Post by marct »

Does it work if you logon to the NAS (from Windows) using the default admin user? I have see issues where you create users, even though they are in the same user groups they don't quite work as they should.

If it works for the default admin user (from your screenshot it looked like you had another user called administrator) it could be this issue.

Marc
NAS: TS-209
Firmware: Version 1.1.1 build 0831T
Raid: Off
HDD: 1 x 500Gb Seagate (ST3500630AS 3.AA) & 1 x 300Gb Maxtor (6V300F0)
SlimServer Installed
USB Drive: 1 x 500Gb NTFS
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

marct wrote:Does it work if you logon to the NAS (from Windows) using the default admin user? I have see issues where you create users, even though they are in the same user groups they don't quite work as they should.

If it works for the default admin user (from your screenshot it looked like you had another user called administrator) it could be this issue.

Marc
Hello Marc - thanks for your reply.

I have added only one user account "kc", but it doesn't work whether I log in as either Adminstrator or kc.

I've tried using webfile manager and using dos and using windows (file explorer).
TS201
Kvarnen
Starting out

Post by Kvarnen »

Hi guys.

I have the very same problem since I upgraded to firmware 1.1.1 (build 831) on my TS-109. I'm guessing it's some kind of permission problem with the users I created - maybe the user or group identifier has changed since the last firmware and the file or directory permissions aren't set correctly.

Anyhow, I have solved it temporarily this way:
When I start QGet I don't log on as my own user, but rather as the pre-defined admin-user. Then I select a download task - any task in any queue, really - and then hit it again with the "wrong" mouse button. I select "Explore folder" from the menu that appears. That way you can browse the Qdownload directory as the admin user even though the you have connected to the share - in My Computer - as another user.

It's not a bug fix, but you can work that way until the Good Guys of the East fixes the problem... :wink:

I hope it helps
/ Kvarnen
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

Hi Kvarnen

Can you confirm this bit in more detail - I don't quite follow...
Kvarnen wrote:Then I select a download task - any task in any queue, really - and then hit it again with the "wrong" mouse button. I select "Explore folder" from the menu that appears.
...which task queue QGet or Windows Explorer?...select with the left mouse button then right click on the same task, then then explore in windows exlorer and this then makes the folder / file deletable?

Thanks
TS201
Kvarnen
Starting out

Post by Kvarnen »

Hi there.

Ok, a little more in detail:

- I start QGet from Windows and log on as "admin".
- When I see the download tasks in QGet, I click on one of them with the "wrong" mouse button (right button if you have your mouse configured for right-handed use and left mouse button if you have it configured for left-handed use).
- In the meny that appears - the one with Pause, BT Properties and such - I select "Explore folder".
- An explorer pops up with the QDownload contents - but it has been opened with "admin" privilies. Deleting and moving stuff should be a breeze!

If you open the share \\<IP>\qdownload you will most probably open it with your default Windows priviligies instead.

Easy-peasy! :wink:

Regz
/ Kvarnen[/b]
"We be good with fist, spear or submachinegun. We be a handful!" / Sulik, Fallout 2

Return to “File Sharing”