Can't see new TS 209 Pro in Vista explorer

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
PeterT
New here

Can't see new TS 209 Pro in Vista explorer

Post by PeterT »

I am trying to set up a new TS 209 Pro (Version 1.1.1 build 0831T) to work with my Vista laptops and router but am unable to see the NAS in the Windows network. I haven't even got as far as attaching to a share. There are no other servers (apart from the NAS and the DHCP router) on the network.

I can connect to the NAS via the QNAP finder and turbo station. It has been assigned a fixed IP address, configured to use Microsoft Networking as stand alone server and member of my workgroup. No IP address conflicts.

I have tried with the McAfee firewall enabled and disabled. No luck. However, I do see the NAS IP appear in the McAfee network browser.

Can anybody guide me? What have I not configured?
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

I would like to confirm if all default network shares are OK.
Can you login to web file manager, and check if you can enter into all default share (Public, Qdownload, Qmultimedia, Qweb, Qusb)
If yes, then all the default shares are OK.

Then can you connect it by going to start > run > type "\\**.**.**.**\" (replace **.**.**.** with your nas ip address)
If not, please double check your Windows firewall.
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
sjaglin
Getting the hang of things

Hi Kent

Post by sjaglin »

Hi,
I have posted in a different thread a similar problem :

http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

So to summarize, my Linux box , since the upgrade to fw 1.1.1 does not see my QNAP via Samba.

I have just tried to do :

//x.x.x.x/ in konqueror and bingo I get the samba link with the folders (Public, Qthis, Qthat...). But the access is agonizingly long (even in Samba terms) and not usable for this reason.

I use smb4k to try and acces the samba ports of the QNAP, i had to manually add the address for it to be detected. Once detected samb4k could not mount the QNAP with the message "unale to find a suitable server".

Does this help you to progress towards a solution?

Thanks for your help and work,

Stef.

:wink:
QNAP TS-251B 4Gb 2x 1TB SOLAR POWERED (50%)
QNAP TS-119+Version 3.4.0 Build 0212T(1 TB) SOLAR POWERED (90%)TB
RaPi 3 and 4 -> OMV and Raspiblitz
SOLD EeePC 1000H Mandriva 2010.1, Puppy and XP SOLAR POWERED (50%)
SOLD ASROCK Ion 330 Mandriva 2010.1 SOLAR POWERED (50%)
PeterT
New here

Post by PeterT »

Kent's IP address solution works fine. I can now see all shares.

Thanks very much for your help.

Now if only I could get my supported USB printer (HP 1210) showing up in the printer share ...
PeterT
New here

Post by PeterT »

Just to add to that last remark it seems to be Vista related issue as I can see the printer from an XP machine. No doubt this post should be in another forum but I figured that it could be related to my first problem.
Keigotw
Starting out

Re: Can't see new TS 209 Pro in Vista explorer

Post by Keigotw »

PeterT wrote:I am trying to set up a new TS 209 Pro (Version 1.1.1 build 0831T) to work with my Vista laptops and router but am unable to see the NAS in the Windows network. I haven't even got as far as attaching to a share. There are no other servers (apart from the NAS and the DHCP router) on the network.

I can connect to the NAS via the QNAP finder and turbo station. It has been assigned a fixed IP address, configured to use Microsoft Networking as stand alone server and member of my workgroup. No IP address conflicts.

I have tried with the McAfee firewall enabled and disabled. No luck. However, I do see the NAS IP appear in the McAfee network browser.

I got the same problem after updating to the new firmware, the TS-209 does not show in windows network.
but I got around it.
1. press the window key + R and type in \\ name of server (what ever you named it)
click ok and you will get .. see below

3.click on the arrow down, until it shows your server name

4. Now you can drag your server name and put it on the desktop or under my favorites on the left side.

Done, Now you have a shortcut to access you NAS
Last edited by Keigotw on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keigotw
Starting out

Post by Keigotw »

PeterT wrote:Just to add to that last remark it seems to be Vista related issue as I can see the printer from an XP machine. No doubt this post should be in another forum but I figured that it could be related to my first problem.
Yeah, could be Vista issue or maybe something Qnap have to fix. My Hp-1320 installs fine when connected to The NAS, and windows XP can use it. BUT not vista. So Don't hook up my printer to the NAS anymore
I hook it wireless linksys print server instead ans xp and vista works fine
PeterT
New here

Post by PeterT »

An update on the situation after being away a few days:

I tried the start (run) \\servername option instead of the \\ipaddress option that I had been using and Vista picks up the server no problem even when not seen in the explorer. I even see the USB printer appearing. Unfortunately I cannot say whether the latter is because of the complete restart or because of using the \\servername.

That's the good news. The bad news is that my machine grinds to a halt trying to use the printer. Only once did I successfully print and that was after a five minute wait. I have since removed the printer as it was way too painful.

However, the storage works like a charm and I am very happy with it. I am especially glad that it works fine in Vista.
Keigotw
Starting out

Post by Keigotw »

PeterT wrote:An update on the situation after being away a few days:

I tried the start (run) \\servername option instead of the \\ipaddress option that I had been using and Vista picks up the server no problem even when not seen in the explorer. I even see the USB printer appearing. Unfortunately I cannot say whether the latter is because of the complete restart or because of using the \\servername.

That's the good news. The bad news is that my machine grinds to a halt trying to use the printer. Only once did I successfully print and that was after a five minute wait. I have since removed the printer as it was way too painful.

However, the storage works like a charm and I am very happy with it. I am especially glad that it works fine in Vista.
That is why I got a linksys print server instead of using the Qnap one
which still buggie.
Keigotw
Starting out

Post by Keigotw »

PeterT wrote:I am trying to set up a new TS 209 Pro (Version 1.1.1 build 0831T) to work with my Vista laptops and router but am unable to see the NAS in the Windows network. I haven't even got as far as attaching to a share. There are no other servers (apart from the NAS and the DHCP router) on the network.

I had the same problem, but now updated to new firmware and it showing on vista network folder now
see http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=2285#2285
Oddish
Starting out

Post by Oddish »

PeterT wrote:It has been assigned a fixed IP address, configured to use Microsoft Networking as stand alone server and member of my workgroup.
How did you accomplish that? Where do you change the Qnaps workgroup?
johngalt
Know my way around

Post by johngalt »

I had the same problem with Vista Ultimate and a D-Link 323.

Here is what solved my issue. Your mileage may vary.

Vista & SAMBA
Doug

TS-659 Pro+, 3.6.0 Build 0210
Drives: 2x Seagate ST31000524NS Raid 1 + 4 Seagate ST32000641AS JBOD
Oddish
Starting out

Post by Oddish »

Same problem here with two computers (XP Pro & Vista Ultimate). I changed the Turbostation's workgroup to the same as the two computers (MSHOME) but the TS doesn't show up under "Network" in either XP or Vista.

\\turbostation_name\ does NOT work

\\192.168.1.x\ works fine

Any idea why the TS doesn't show up like normal (not by ip address) with it's network name?

Current firmware version: 2.1.1 Build 0827T
moa68
New here

Re:

Post by moa68 »

Oddish wrote:Same problem here with two computers (XP Pro & Vista Ultimate). I changed the Turbostation's workgroup to the same as the two computers (MSHOME) but the TS doesn't show up under "Network" in either XP or Vista.

\\turbostation_name\ does NOT work

\\192.168.1.x\ works fine

Any idea why the TS doesn't show up like normal (not by ip address) with it's network name?
Hello everybody,

I exactly have the same problem with a TS-209 pro II.
Does anybody found a solution?
(My firmware version is 2.1.0_Build_080624)

Thanks for help
QNAP TS 209 Pro II with 2x 500 Go Seagate in Raid 1
Firmware 2.1.0 built 0624

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”