WoL

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
tomras
Getting the hang of things

WoL

Post by tomras »

Hi..

One thing I want is a possibility to send a magic paket Wake on Lan to a client, my router don't support WoL over internet, so that could be cool to add that to the Qnap..
Swedish = Spelling not good ;)
jetor_88
Starting out

Post by jetor_88 »

i want that function to! so you can start the computer from internet
TheEnvoy
Know my way around

Post by TheEnvoy »

that makes us four*, but I guess there are some more around who would like that feature

Regards
TheEnvoy

* counting xilian in, who replied on my thread regarding this topic
Think! :idea: Search :!: Ask :?:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-- B. Franklin

// TS-409 Pro - Debian Lenny
// TS-109 Pro / FW: 1.1.1 0831 (offline)
tomras

Post by tomras »

yea absolutly! more votes on this future would be nice ;)

have a nice day...
Swedish = Spelling not good ;)
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

I would like to have WoL, because that gives us the possibily to remotely turn it on and off when necessary.
SS-439 Pro (running on 3.4.0 Build 1207T) as a backup server with RAID 5 (4 * 300 GB)
TS-109 Pro (running on 3.3.0 Build 0924T) as a file-, web- & media Server (1 TB)
TheEnvoy
Know my way around

Post by TheEnvoy »

Hey Stefano,

I think you got this one wrong, if you mean QNAP by "it", what we want is not a
feature to wake the QNAP over LAN but the ability to use the QNAP to wake up other
clients - that presummly would be a PC of some kind - that are connected to the QNAP.

Though a WOL for the QNAP itself could be nice too.

-- B. Franklin

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Hi, TheEnvoy,

You are right, I got you wrong.

But for me, the TS-x0x is a NAS and Server, but to the Ethernet itself, it is a client. Therefore I find it better to have the central functions such as WoL, DHCP, domain master, DNS, ActiveDirectory and so on on the router. At my place, it's a AVM Fritz!Box, that already has the ability to send Magic Packets to the LAN intiated from the internet.

I don't want to say, I have it, so I don't want it in the QNAP, but from a network design perspective, I would rather like to wake TS-x0x than to use TS-x0x to wake PCs.

Stefano
SS-439 Pro (running on 3.4.0 Build 1207T) as a backup server with RAID 5 (4 * 300 GB)
TS-109 Pro (running on 3.3.0 Build 0924T) as a file-, web- & media Server (1 TB)
TheEnvoy
Know my way around

Post by TheEnvoy »

I do understand you well on that,

I use wake on call with my Fritz!Box as well, but as I wouldn't like to have a second webserver running on it, which I allready tried, but then decided to use the qnap..

So thats why your request is as well very interessting, so I could start the nas over the Fritz!Box by wake on call and then use a webpage on the qnap to wake other clients.... just dreaming, I think it's getting off topic a bit...

regards
TheEnvoy

-- B. Franklin

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

TheEnvoy wrote:...so I could start the nas over the Fritz!Box by wake on call and then use a webpage on the qnap to wake other clients...
Good idea. Hopefully, everything goes to sleep again in the end...
nlights
New here

Re: WoL

Post by nlights »

I only want to add that for me wol is also a very important feature. would be great to see it in the next firmware version!
Best Regards,
nlights (TS-209)
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

The problem of waking up the Qnap when it is powered off is probably the fact that the Qnap network card is powered off, too, when it is shut down. The power consumption if powereded off is almost 0 watts, so therefore it should be found a way to only keep the internal network adapter under power and nothing more.

I have no idea if this even can be done. But I would definitively like to have a wol feature to wake up a Qnap when I have to do my replication jobs. The 2nd one does not have to run all the time.

Hmm, how about a shut the server down after the replication is finished feature (but only if you manage to implement the wol feature too)?
kristera
First post

Post by kristera »

If you use the wakeonlan perl script that Ubuntu uses (http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/) then you can use WOL from your QNAP. I use this for my MythTV setup at home and my QNAP wakes up my Master Backend.
Obviously you need to install the QNAP perl first see http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Perl_5.8.8_Installation.
Hope this can be of use.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

kristera wrote:If you use the wakeonlan perl script that Ubuntu uses (http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/) then you can use WOL from your QNAP. I use this for my MythTV setup at home and my QNAP wakes up my Master Backend.
Obviously you need to install the QNAP perl first see http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Perl_5.8.8_Installation.
Hope this can be of use.
Hi Kristera

Now we just need it compiled for the TS-XXX, have a nice webinterface, and then a detailed How-To, hint hint :mrgreen:
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Andrey
New here

Post by Andrey »

fribse wrote:i Kristera

Now we just need it compiled for the TS-XXX, have a nice webinterface, and then a detailed How-To, hint hint
Hi, why don't you use just a php script. You can easily integrate in joomla:
for joomla you'll need plugin: "addphp"
and script you'll find here http://www.hackernotcracker.com/2006-04 ... cript.html

Return to “Features Wanted”