NetBak: Partition backup in addition to file backup

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.

Would it make sense to make NetBak a fully fledged backup solution?

Yes, definately!
40%
Yes, I could imaging to use it.
27%
Rather not.
No votes
No, that's useless!
7%
I don't know.
7%
No, I don't use backups at all.
No votes
No, I don't use NetBak Replicator, because I have a better solution.
20%

Total votes: 15

Stefano
Getting the hang of things

NetBak: Partition backup in addition to file backup

Post by Stefano »

NetBak is a.f.a.i.k. only able to backup files instead of whole partitions. This is okay for document partitions etc., but for the OS partition, NetBak does not copy the boot sector and partition table. When the system fails to boot, NetBak cannot recover it.

Therefore, I use NetBak only to mirror the backup images of my primary backup solution.

Wouldn't it make sense to make NetBak a fully fledged backup solution?
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

If system crushed....how to boot system and use NetBak to recovery system?
Maybe need a bootable CD and running NetBak....
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
watervlo
New here

Post by watervlo »

In fact, I bought the TS-101 with the advertised backup functionality because my HD had crashed a day before. I expected to get a real partition backup so I was disappointed not to get it. Now Í'm stuck with Norton Save and Restore :x

The advantage of the NAS over another internal HD is the "safety" of having a standalone backup. Moreover since the TS-101 can copy itself to another external HD. I do not mind to use a disk / usb stick / cd-rom if that ensures a Clean install. With Norton it is more troublesome (but not really tried yet).

Watervlo
Stefano
Getting the hang of things

Post by Stefano »

Since I know, that NetBak is only able to mirror selected files but not the whole partition and the Turbo Station can only mirror itself to another Turbo Station, I also use a another solution that backups the partition to a network share on the Turbo Station. I find NetBak useless. What happens, if your system does not boot at all?!

Return to “Features Wanted”