Security problem on Qmultimedia station

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
phkoech
Know my way around

Security problem on Qmultimedia station

Post by phkoech »

On QNAP 201, everybody can browse content of Qmultimedia directories, even if you configure restricted access right on it. That's amazing !
I'm very desapointed because multimedia is a very exciting function, but I cannot use it because of this problem :-(
Any new about this huge problem ??
NB : See also Qmultimedia station subject on this forum.
martenk
New here

Post by martenk »

I had the same problem before, but it got fixed with 1.1.1. firmware update. The thing is that the user authorizations are managed by logging into multimediastation using the little login icon in the far upper right corner with your admin login, and then clicking on the tool box-icon. In other word, trying to manage user setup in the ordinary adminstration environment doesn't seem to work for multimedia station.

There you can manage which folders should be visible for which users.

Hope this helps you.
phkoech
Know my way around

Post by phkoech »

Thanks for this advice but it seems it works only on QNAP 209. On QNAP 201, I don't have any toolbox icon !
What I have understood on this forum, is that there will be a firmware update before end of this month to have this option on QNAP 201.
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Sorry for inconvenience, we are working on the improved firmware for TS-201 and TS-101. The updated firmware is expected to be released within 1 month.
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
phkoech
Know my way around

Post by phkoech »

Hello,
Is there a solution now for this security problem ?
=> On QNAP web site, it is written that it will be corrected on sept 2007.
=> On lastest beta firmaware relaese note, it is written 'Fixed one security hole in Qmultimeida (photo album)."
But the problem is still there on QNAP 201, even if we use beta firmware ???
bacher
Starting out

Post by bacher »

QNAPIvan wrote:Sorry for inconvenience, we are working on the improved firmware for TS-201 and TS-101. The updated firmware is expected to be released within 1 month.
Any news on this update since 1 month now has passed??
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Sorry the release schedule is delayed.
We will work it out soon.

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
bacher
Starting out

Firmware update for TS-201??

Post by bacher »

Any news on the updated firmware for TS-201 that was promised for september 2007 and said to be "figured out soon" almost a month ago on Oct 20?? We are now approcaching end of Nov, i.e. two months after the firmware was originally promised.

Seems like all efforts are being put on the newer versions TS-209 and TS-109...
If you are into customer care I hope you wont forget us who bought the TS-201 just before the TS-209 was announced...

We badly need this firmware update!
phkoech
Know my way around

Post by phkoech »

Hello everybody.
I have decided not to wait for this bug to be fixed, so I have sent this message to QNAP (we will see) :

Hello,

I have bought a QNAP TS-201 on 26th of August 2007. I have decided to buy this model mainly because of its multimedia functions.

I’m afraid to tell you this device is far away for my expectations because I cannot use multimedia functions at all! This is due to a security hole in multimedia function: everybody can display this folder when using web browser (see my post http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=5565#5565).

When I bought this product, it was written in the specifications (on http://www.qnap.com) that this security hole will be corrected in sept 2007. We are now in November and this is still not the case.

I DO NOT want to wait more for this problem to be fixed, so I ask you to replace my TS-201 by a model that do not have the problem (ex TS-209).

Could you please give me the process for this product replacement?

Thank you by advance,

Best regards,
isos
Starting out

Post by isos »

hi,

Do you have any response from qnap?

i would like to find a rapid issue, i can t let my multimedia open to all the worl, then i must put off the multimedia fonction of my ts201...but it was the principal use :cry:

i think i wil return my 201 to the seller for buy another nas server

:cry:

i don t think that qnap will change your 201 for a 209 :lol:
phkoech
Know my way around

Post by phkoech »

I do not have any response from QNAP. They are really not fair :evil:
We have this security problem for 4 monthes now and nothing has changed !
I think they don't care. As they don't respect their customer, I'm sure they will be black-listed by the custormer.
Personnaly, I will use legal solution to get my money back !
QNAPAlvin

Post by QNAPAlvin »

Hi,

First, I have to apologize to every customer who has suffered from this issue for the feature which has caused your security concerns. This may rouse your great impatience. In fact, what you mentioned are really constructive and we've dealt with it for few monthes, but there'are some enhancements we'd intend to merge in. According to our chief of engineers, the new version will be released at the end of this month. May I beg you just wait for a more little while; by then, the feature you requested will be figured out and please look forward to it.

Could I ask you just let me know if you have any inquiry need to be figured out? Or give me a private message. I'll keep watching this topic until you are all satisfied. Sorry again for your inconvenience.

Alvin
isos
Starting out

Post by isos »

Hi,

what a good news :D

I bought the ts201 since 1 month and i thought than we will never have any news rom version.

since i do the post i had see 2 release for the x09 series but nothing for the x01...

I m happy to see the team working on our product and hop see the release this month :D , many people wait that i put online the multimedia folders

thx for your response
AlexR
First post

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I hope the security fix for the Qmultimedia folder will also be incorporated in the firmware update for my ts-101. I hope we can receive this update as a gift for Christmas?

Thank you QNAP for your nice product, hope the remaining few flaws will be fixed.
------------
Alex, Netherlands
tooby
Starting out

Post by tooby »

Hi!
Nice so see that you are working on a new firmware.

/tooby

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”