Spin Down and SlimServer

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
marct
Starting out

Spin Down and SlimServer

Post by marct »

Hi,

Just to help any people out there wondering to what level SlimServer affects spin down.

I have a QNAP TS-209 with the configuration shown in my signature. I have 6.5.3 version of SlimServer installed and running on my NAS. Spin down now works with SlimServer running but ONLY when the Squeezebox client is unplugged. Even when it is in standby and displaying the clock, my NAS didn't spin down.

Hope this helps.
Marc
NAS: TS-209
Firmware: Version 1.1.1 build 0831T
Raid: Off
HDD: 1 x 500Gb Seagate (ST3500630AS 3.AA) & 1 x 300Gb Maxtor (6V300F0)
SlimServer Installed
USB Drive: 1 x 500Gb NTFS
Maarten
Starting out

Post by Maarten »

I have a TS-209 (Firmware 1.1.1) with two Samsung SpinPoint T-series 500GB drives in mirroring mode (RAID-1).

Before installing SlimServer, the TS spun down the drives just fine.

I installed the Progressive SlimServer package and upgrade to SlimServer 6.5.4. (Install was VERY easy and smooth.) Since then, I have not seen spin-down happen.

Running 'top' reveals that slimserver.pl is running fairly constantly, even when no music is playing but a Squeezebox is present on the network.

I have not yet tried unplugging my Squeezebox to see how that affects things.
marct
Starting out

Post by marct »

In my case the squeezebox MUST be powered off. Also, you need to take into account Slimserver scanning for music on your NAS. Wait until that process is complete and you should see the drives spin down. I'll try and look at my server tonight and see if the slimserver.pl is running.

Marc
NAS: TS-209
Firmware: Version 1.1.1 build 0831T
Raid: Off
HDD: 1 x 500Gb Seagate (ST3500630AS 3.AA) & 1 x 300Gb Maxtor (6V300F0)
SlimServer Installed
USB Drive: 1 x 500Gb NTFS
kluris
Getting the hang of things

Post by kluris »

Maarten wrote:I have a TS-209 (Firmware 1.1.1) with two Samsung SpinPoint T-series 500GB drives in mirroring mode (RAID-1).

Before installing SlimServer, the TS spun down the drives just fine.

I installed the Progressive SlimServer package and upgrade to SlimServer 6.5.4. (Install was VERY easy and smooth.) Since then, I have not seen spin-down happen.

Running 'top' reveals that slimserver.pl is running fairly constantly, even when no music is playing but a Squeezebox is present on the network.

I have not yet tried unplugging my Squeezebox to see how that affects things.
Exactly the same configuration and the same problem. I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware, but it doesn't work. Same issue as before, itis accesing the hardrives every 5 seconds. No spindown either!!!!
TS-209
2 Samsung HD501LJ in RAID1
Windows Vista
3.3.0 (0924T)
kluris
Getting the hang of things

Post by kluris »

Just realized that it doesn't access my hard drives once I turn my Squeezebox, but when I turn it off it is the same problem, strange this!
TS-209
2 Samsung HD501LJ in RAID1
Windows Vista
3.3.0 (0924T)
markushk
Starting out

Post by markushk »

I have a TS-201 with Slimserver installed and had spindown issues until I adjusted the refresh interval of the Weather plugin.

Mine is now set to refresh every 5 hours (value of 36000)- located in server settings/pluggins.

I hope this help.

Regards
Markus
pdagenius
New here

Qnap TS-109 spindown and Sqeezebox

Post by pdagenius »

I have discovered that my Qnap TS-109 will happily spindown if the Squeezebox is connected to the Squeeze Network but not when it is connected to the Slimserver. Also I have to ensure that there are no network drives (from the Qnap TS-109) connected to my pc.

This is a new discovery as I had thought from the forums that my Western Digital hard drive would not spindown. My question is why does the TS-109 spindown when Squeezebox is in standby?

It would be good to hear other people's experiences with a similar setup.
TS-109 1.1.13 Build 1011T HDD: WD5000AAKS
Slimserver 6.5.4
Squeezebox V3

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”