Qnap 209 pro / ITunes

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
marati
New here

Qnap 209 pro / ITunes

Post by marati »

Hello ...

i am using a qnap 209 pro with the latest firmware.
i copied my mp3 files to Qmultimedia and set this folder as iTunes folder.
Now when i import music with itunes, whenever itunes needs to change foldernames due to mp3-tags, the new folder is beinggenerated but a second later everything gets deleted.
Any Idea why?
I dont have this problem if the itunes folder is local or on another Windows machine.

Thank you
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

I also have the TS 209 pro since 3 days and have the same problems with Itunes! I use the newest Itunes version... please let me know when you have a solution!

Do we have to disable the Itunes service on the Qnap? I even don't know what the function of the Itunes service on the Qnap is? Can somebody explain?

And is it recommended to store the itunes folder on the Qmultimedia share? Including the Itunes library xml files and so on?
marati
New here

Qnap 209 pro / ITunes

Post by marati »

Hi...

i tried all different kind of settings ... disabled Multimedia and all other servers. Did`nt help.
I generated another folder ... didn't help.
Tried from another machine with an older version of iTunes .. didn't help.
And that was the only reason i got the Qnap 209 pro, cause i wantet to have all media files on a NAS without having to run a "TwonkyMedia" on a windows machine.
Hope someone from QNAP will help me soon ... otherwise i will sell my TS-209 rpo on eBay ang get just a "NAS" for a lot less money. -:((
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

Hi Marati,

I also hope they will help us soon! I bought my Qnap also for storing my media files and to use it with Itunes. I bought it 5 days ago together with 2x500 GB harddisks so I spent a lot of money on this thing... so it should just work.

The first 3 days there were no problems with Itunes. I could import cd's and Itunes putted them in the Qmultimedia folder... everything was ok! But since yesterday all the folders are disappearing. The same as what you told in your first forumpost.

I removed Itunes from my pc, I emptied the Qmultimedia folder and now I wait for the solution, before i start over again...
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Re: Qnap 209 pro / ITunes

Post by QNAPRei »

marati wrote:Hello ...
i am using a qnap 209 pro with the latest firmware.
i copied my mp3 files to Qmultimedia and set this folder as iTunes folder.
Now when i import music with itunes, whenever itunes needs to change foldernames due to mp3-tags, the new folder is beinggenerated but a second later everything gets deleted.
Any Idea why?
I dont have this problem if the itunes folder is local or on another Windows machine.
Thank you
Hi marati,

Which iTunes and TS-209 Pro versions are you using? Did you change the iTunes directory? Please clarify a bit so that we can help better. Thank you.
The first 3 days there were no problems with Itunes. I could import cd's and Itunes putted them in the Qmultimedia folder... everything was ok! But since yesterday all the folders are disappearing. The same as what you told in your first forumpost.
Hi vincevince,

Do you remember what you did yesterday? Which iTunes and TS-209 Pro versions did you use?
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

My firmware version on the TS 209 PRO is: Current firmware version: 1.1.1 Build 0831T. Itunes server on the TS 209 PRO was turned on.

I used the newest version of Itunes, i don't know the version number because I uninstalled Itunes now. But I got the update from Apple a few days ago... so it should be version 7.4. So maybe it is because of the update of Itunes but ... the other guy also tried to install earlier versions of Itunes but that didn't work.

What is the function of activating the Itunes server on the Qnap? What does it do?

Thanks!
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

vincevince wrote:My firmware version on the TS 209 PRO is: Current firmware version: 1.1.1 Build 0831T. Itunes server on the TS 209 PRO was turned on.

I used the newest version of Itunes, i don't know the version number because I uninstalled Itunes now. But I got the update from Apple a few days ago... so it should be version 7.4. So maybe it is because of the update of Itunes but ... the other guy also tried to install earlier versions of Itunes but that didn't work.

What is the function of activating the Itunes server on the Qnap? What does it do?

Thanks!
When you activate the iTunes Server on QNAP NAS, select the correct label encoding, upload music to the Qmultimedia folder of NAS, iTunes finds the shared files automatically. The NAS name appears on the left panel of iTunes (under the SHARED menu). As you click the NAS name, you should be able see the files and you can play them by iTunes.
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

Ok clear. The encoding is in english. I want to install Itunes in the Qmultimedia directory. So when I import cd's in Itunes, they will be placed in the Qmultimedia folder.

If I install Itunes in the Qmultimedia folder, do I need to activate the Itunes server on the QNAP then? Or better to keep it disabled?
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

vincevince wrote:Ok clear. The encoding is in english. I want to install Itunes in the Qmultimedia directory. So when I import cd's in Itunes, they will be placed in the Qmultimedia folder.

If I install Itunes in the Qmultimedia folder, do I need to activate the Itunes server on the QNAP then? Or better to keep it disabled?
Sorry if I've misled you. iTunes should be installed on your PC or Mac. You simply save the music files to be shared to iTunes in the Qmultimedia folder. You must enable iTunes server on NAS so that iTunes can find the music on NAS. You can refer to this application note for the information.
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

But... in Itunes options, I set the Qmultimedia directory as the Itunes saving directory... the library xml file is in the Qmultimedia folder then.

When I import cd's in Itunes... I want them to be saved directly in the Qmultimedia folder!

This is what I want. But then the folders in the Qmultimedia directory disappear, as you can read in the first posting of this topic.
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

OK here is the story what I just did on my Windows XP Pro PC without Itunes:

- I reinstalled Itunes in the basic directories (mydocuments /mymusic/itunes/itunes music)

- Itunes server on my qnap was activated

- I imported 2 cd's... files were placed in mydocuments/mymusic/itunes/itunesmusic

- I changed the "Itunes music folder" to M:\ which is the share to the Qmultimedia folder on the Qnap.

- I closed Itunes

- I replaced the 2 cd folders from my documents/mymusic/itunes/itunesmusic to M:\

- I started Itunes and in the advanced menu I chose "collect library contents"

- After that I was looking in M:\U2\Achtung Baby and what happened? Only cd tracks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12 were still there... the tracks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 were disappeared!!

Very strange... I hope someone has a solution!

Thanks in advance :D
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

I just imported a cd with the setting "Keep itunes music folder organised" off. And now all the numbers are there!

So I think the error has all to do with the "Keep itunes music folder organised" setting :!:
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

Now I imported another cd... the songs were placed in the right folder. Now I deleted the just imported album from Itunes... and I closed Itunes.

I restarted Itunes... I watched the Itunes folder and saw that not 1, but 2 different albums got deleted :?

And the just deleted album was still viewable in Itunes!

I really don't know anymore what's happening :? :?: :?:
marati
New here

Post by marati »

This is exactly what happens with my files too.
As soon as you let iTunes organize your musik folders to rename them by abum, interpret etc. iTunes tries to relocate them. Then they just dissapear ... i kept the album folder open and could see one file after the other dissapear.
I tried the same with another folder (not defined by qnap system) exactly the same happens.
Then i thought there is something wrong with my PC. so i did it with my Laptop ... same result!
Then i installed an older version of iTunes (7.4.2 instad of the latest: 7.4.3) ... again the files dissapeared.
Then i used a shared folde on a Windows Server ... no problem at all.
At the end i believed it was twonky media`s fault running on Qnap ...so i disabled all services ... nothing changed.

The only thing i couldn`t do is downgrade my Qnap to the original version to try again `cause i don't have the original rom file.

I hope somebody is going to find a solution.

BTW: i am so glad i copied my music files instead of moving them to the Qmultimedia folder ... other wise ... don`t even want to think of it :twisted:

wating ... waiting .... waitin
vincevince
Starting out

Post by vincevince »

Hi Marati!

Today I got e-mail from Qnap. This is what they told me:

Dear Vincent,

You have to copy media file to Qmutlmedia folder. And you have install iTunes program on client PC. Then play it via Intranet.

http://www.qnap.com/images/products/App ... 09AP03.htm

We have a beta version 1.1.2-0928T that fix some problems.
If you want to use this version, you can download it from FTP server.

http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=534

Sincerely,

Tiffany
10/08/2007

And I have a tip... if you activate the 'network trash bin' on the NAS... and your music files are disappeard because of this problem... you can find them in the trashbin and restore them :)

Hoping for a final solution! Please let me know what happened to your Itunes after installing the BETA 1.1.2-0928T!

Return to “Media Streaming”