TS-109: Using rsync, but without ssh?

Discussion on remote replication.
eskild
Starting out

TS-109: Using rsync, but without ssh?

Post by eskild »

I've tried to use rsync from a Linux client, but without 'ssh', as the cryptography processing gobbles up a lot of CPU on the TS-109.

I've tried things along these lines (from my Linux client); please note that this isn't specific to Qdownload; I see it with all my shares:
  • rsync -av nas::Qdownload /tmp
    rsync -av admin@nas::Qdownload /tmp
I'm prompted for a password, and I've tried with both the admin pwd, empty password, and user passwords (for user shares). But in all cases I get errors like these:

Code: Select all

@ERROR: auth failed on module Qdownload
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1308) [receiver=2.6.8]
If I use 'ssh', then things are OK, but the load on the QNAP is too high for my tastes; my slimserver may choke up the music if I rsync and use smb at the same time.

Any ideas?
russ
New here

Re: TS-109: Using rsync, but without ssh?

Post by russ »

Did you ever solve this?

I'm having the same problem... it seems like the rsync on the QNAP is doing its own thing with the password. You get no password prompt, and it doesn't even work if you specify the password with --password-file. Very annoying.
CptFuzzy
New here

Post by CptFuzzy »

I have the same problem; I don't think it supports full rsync yet... not sure why.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... ync#p15212
russ
New here

Post by russ »

I also have been trying to deal with the fact that QNAP has modified rsync in a way that seems to change the password.

It occurred to me that I should be able to resolve this by looking at exactly how rsync has been changed. Since rsync has a GNU GPL license (see http://rsync.samba.org/) this should be easy, since QNAP needs to make the changed code available.

Anyone at QNAP: How do I go about getting the modded rsync code as per the GPL? I don't see an easy way anywhere on the site.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”