Shared Folder disappears after an certain number of songs!

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Docfish
New here

Shared Folder disappears after an certain number of songs!

Post by Docfish »

Dear Forum!

I have following problem:

I've got the latest firmware 1.1.1 on my Qnap TS 109.
I've also got the latest version of iTunes.

I copied my iTunes-Music folder with all from iTunes created folder into the multimedia folder of my Qnap.
Everything works well until I copy more than about 3400 songs from the iTunes music folder to my Qnap.
Before that everything works well and the number of files are the same like the number of songs shown in my shared iTunes folder in iTunes.

After this about 3400 songs I loaded about 100 song more from my iTunes-Music folder to my multimedia folder of my Qnap.

HERE THE PROBLEM STARTS!

The songs shown in iTunes are not the same number like the files on my multimedia folder!!!

After loading all songs from my itunes music folder to my multimedia folder the shared folder even DISAPPEARED!!! Why????

I hope somebody knows what I mean!
I really hope that somebody can help me because I nearly go crazy - Everything I tried - it wont work!

Sincerely Docfish!
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear DocFish

First of all, sorry for the inconvenience.
We went through all the process you describeb and had some discussion by today. The problem sounds strange that I didnt encountered before. Here we were trying to duplicate the same procedure here in QNAP lab.
I have few things would like to clarify with you.
After this about 3400 songs I loaded about 100 song more from my iTunes-Music folder to my multimedia folder of my Qnap.
HERE THE PROBLEM STARTS!
The songs shown in iTunes are not the same number like the files on my multimedia folder!!!
1. Can you breifly let me know how you manage and place these songs, or you can give me a screen capture? Are all the songs are placed in the same single folder? or those are placed in different sub-folders?
2. Can you let me know what's the difference?
After loading all songs from my itunes music folder to my multimedia folder the shared folder even DISAPPEARED!!!
Do you mean the share folder disappeared in your iTunes Software? (Just want to make sure you still keep all the songs in your QMultimeda Folder.) May I know the iTunes software version you are using?

I will pm you the same message. Here is my email address. ( ivanhsu@qnap.com ). Please kindly help us to duplicate the issue you encountered, at the same time we will keep you updated. Sorry for inconvenience.

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
Docfish
New here

Post by Docfish »

My problem is still not solved - I wrote QnapIvan via e-mail - why don't you answer me???

Docfish
Docfish
New here

Description

Post by Docfish »

Now I want you to describe in which steps I tried to install my iTunes-Server:

1. The songs are from my iTunes-Music - folder, which was originally designed by iTunes. In this folder there are many underfolder with the artists and after the artists with the album-name - then the songs are in there.

2. I activated the multimedia-server and itunes-server on my qnap 109, i installed a static IP-adress - everythings fine.

3. I opened the actual version of iTunes (version 7.4.3.1) and the shared folder with my NAS is shown - But there are no songs in it - of corse baecause I already not copied some songs in the multimedia folder.

4. Now I opened the Windows Explorer and copied all the folders of my iTunes-Music folder (which are described in 1.) to my multimedia folder - but not with the folder itunes-music as one - only the folders which are IN it.

5. I restarted my qnap (i also tried without restart) and NOW my shared folder in itunes is NOT SHOWN ANY MORE.

6. I tried a lot of things and then I recognized that after exactly 4732 songs the problem occurs. Until these line of 4732 songs everything is fine.

7. I looked in the other folders after it if there would be something else other - but no they are the same like the folders before.

8. So this is my problem: I copy all my songs in the multimedia folder - and the SHARED folder in itunes is not there any more - everytime after exactly 4732 songs.

9. I also tried to copy only songs without their folders into the multimedia-folder but after an similar number of songs the same Problem occurs.

--> I THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HELPING ME!!!!

sincerely Docfish

QNAP TS-109
Hard Drive: Hitachi 750 GB 32MB Cache (shown in compatibility list)
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear Docfish:
The previous testing on 8th Oct was fine without issue.
Allow us little more time to duplicate the issue here as you describe.

PS: I didn't receive your mail in ivanhsu@qnap.com

I will get back to you soon.
Cheers,
Ivan
Docfish
New here

Post by Docfish »

Thank you Ivan for working on my problem!

I tried it with every frimware that is offered!

I know that this is strange but I don't know what to do - I hope and think that it is no hardware-problem, because until the mentioned number of songs everythings fine.
After that point the SHARED folder in itunes disappears like I told you.

Today I tried only to copy the mp3's without their folders into the multimedia-folder but without success....

Hope to hear from you and solving my problem soon.

Sincerely Docfish!
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear Docfish:
After we did a lot of test, we were able to duplicate some cases to let the SHARE disappear in iTunes. The possible cause should be that certain files stored on iTunes Server cannot be recognized by the iTunes program on PC, then the iTunes program will drop it completely. Therefore you see nothing on the iTunes program.

These files could be some playlist, such as m3u format. We are now trying to make 1 or 2 sample files that can reproduce the issue, and try to make some clear rules for this feature.

(Did you copy certain files besides your mp3 to the QMultimedia folder on NAS? This might be a clue)

Below is some collection from the discussion in other places.
We now are clarifying which format will be dropped by iTunes program. Please stay tuned and will get back to you soon.

==== (to prevent misunderstanding, below links are the discussion about iTunes program but not the QNAP NAS) ===
Topic : all music disappeared after updating to 7.4.3 (!!!)
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 2&tstart=0

Topic : iTunes song keep disappearing from iTunes
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=5527185

Why do songs disappear from my itunes/ipod
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=203947

Topic : My Library disappeared immediately on upgrade to iTunes 7.4.3.1
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=5493382

Topic : All Music disappeared when importing songs
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 4&tstart=0

No content shows up in iTunes after updating
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301895
Last edited by QNAPIvan on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Docfish
New here

Post by Docfish »

Dear Ivan!

I will search, if there were any of these files between my songs!

Once so far - I want to really thank you, that you're looking forward to solve my problem - Write you soon !

Yours Docfish.
Docfish
New here

Post by Docfish »

Dear Ivan!

I'm sorry to tell you that there aren't any other irregular files copied to my multimedia folder - sorry this can't be the problem....

Did you got my email?

Docfish
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear DocFish:
After we did a lot of testing, we found some rules that will make the Apple iTunes not to show the songs in SHARED NAS. But that's the case when users create the incorrect playlist in iTunes Server (Qmultimedia folder) on NAS.

Regarding the mass quantities of song, we tested more than 10,000 but without finding issue.

As some iTunes users also discussed about the song disappearing issue on iTunes program, we don't know if there is close relation in between. I'm sorry we need more time try to duplicate the issue and trace this issue.

Cheers,
Docfish
New here

Problem solved!

Post by Docfish »

Dear Ivan, dear Qnap Team!

It seems unbelievable, but my iTunes Server works perfectly now!!!

IT WAS ONE CERTAIN SONG OF 6000!

It sounds crazy but this very only song, which is playable, crashes the whole itunes server down! It was a lucky punch that I've found it!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME! - YOURE A GREAT SUPPORT TEAM - GO ON THIS WAY!!!!!

Sincerely Docfish
Markovich
Know my way around

Re: Problem solved!

Post by Markovich »

Docfish wrote: IT WAS ONE CERTAIN SONG OF 6000!
Perhaps it might be useful to forward a copy of the file to QNAP and/or Twonky?

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Re: Problem solved!

Post by QNAPRei »

Docfish wrote:Dear Ivan, dear Qnap Team!

It seems unbelievable, but my iTunes Server works perfectly now!!!

IT WAS ONE CERTAIN SONG OF 6000!

It sounds crazy but this very only song, which is playable, crashes the whole itunes server down! It was a lucky punch that I've found it!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME! - YOURE A GREAT SUPPORT TEAM - GO ON THIS WAY!!!!!

Sincerely Docfish
Hi Docfish,

Could you please share the song with us so that we can further investigate into the prob? You may e-mail QNAPIvan. Thanks in advance!
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
thebiznes
New here

I Need Help same sort of problem!

Post by thebiznes »

Hi I have just got my 109pro.

I have most of the features working, but I am having problems with I Tunes server.

Problem I Tunes loads sees my share then dissapears.

I have only one song in the qmultimedia directory, I deleted the rest because I thought it could be issue with one file not being of mp3 type.

There is no tmp file just the one track, I have checked path statements to \qmultimedia (the file itself does not reside in a directory)
I have tracked the library file and moved (my music folder) the location and correctly stated its path in Twonky. Thinking previous install might be causing problem I tried first with it in its correct default installed location on c:\. So i reinstalled and tried first itunes same prob, then moved library folder and changed path staement in itunes preferences to reflect correct path to library file.

So at the moment itunes loads my share appears then after 10secs or so it dissapears.

Please HELP someone!
thebiznes
New here

Ok so no one wants to help or has same problem!!!!

Post by thebiznes »

I still have the same problem missing shared in ITunes after starting program about 10 secs then the share dissappears.

I have made sure firewall settings for UPNP. I have installed Slimserver which works great with softsqueeze remote software, but I cannot get Twonky and ITunes to play ball. Please someone help I have even PM'ed the admin's but no joy.

Just FYI with Slimserver it does not go into sleep mode even tried writing a script to stop the server which works but Qnap refuses to sleep. Without Slimserver installed it would sleep. I'm on the newest just released Firmware which is otherwise great by the way.

Please Someone take some time out and help!

Return to “Media Streaming”