twonky does not find files

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
chriske911
New here

twonky does not find files

Post by chriske911 »

I have tried a number of ways to configure twonky to serve media files but to no avail

at first I just uploaded a number of music files
but then I made subfolders for music, video and pictures and set the scanned content alike

when I open the log I see a lot of scanning thru these folders but nothing appears in twonky

I then disabled the separate folders and only pointed to \Qmultimedia for all content but even then there is nothing found

resetting twonky does nothing, the settings are still there as I left them and rebuilding the DB also does not work

network sharing is no problem, FTP just works, and after reading I think I can enable multimedia as well
but...

since UPNP was my primary reason for this device in combination with my psp and a media center I'd really like this to work

QNAP TS 109 Pro Version 1.1.0 build 0727T
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear chriske911
What is your UPnP/DLNA media player? model name and supported format claimed by the media player you are using?

BTW. If you own PS3 or Xbox360, you can also download the 1.1.2 0928 hotfix then give it a try.
http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=534

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
chriske911
New here

twonky resumed functionality

Post by chriske911 »

I have a PSP with which I'd really like to be able play music and mp4 files without having to sign up an RSS feed

twonky is finding all media files for now, I changed the to be scanned directory back to the separate subfolders for music, pictures and video

suddenly the index started to build up

I still cannot access it with PSP though but I am not sure if it is an error with the QNAP device or with my PSP

grtz
QNAP TS 109 Pro II Version 2.1.0 build 0624T + TS 253 Pro build 4.1.3
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear chriske911
As far as I know, Sony PSP does not have built-in UPnP/DLNA client. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I own a Sony PSP by myself. It can be an interesting IP-based "Walkerman" when you connect your PSP to your home network with QNAP NAS.

Use the browser function on your PSP. and connect to the QNAP NAS:
http://QNAP NAS IP:9000/RSS (port 9000 is the management port of TwonkyMedia). For example: http://192.168.1.36:9000/rss
(By RSS)

One of our users post these pic on a public forum:

Rezillo
Starting out

Post by Rezillo »

I seem to have a similar issue but it seems the problem lies with the server rather than the clients.

I've recently bought a 109 and am having some problems with Twonky.

4.4.2 ran fine on my PC and my mp3s could be accessed by various networked players but now I want to use the 109 as the server instead of the PC. I've transferred my mp3s, with the same file structure as they had on the PC, to the qnap server. When I added the first 30gb, everything seemed fine but a couple of days later on, I have copied the remaining 100gb and they are not now being scanned consistently.

The album, artist and other descriptors are occasionally showing as empty in the clients and it seems this is because the Twonky rescan has failed. When I log the folder scan in Twonky and manually rescan, I can see that either the scan is not seeing the mp3s' folder structure at all or it is seeing all the folders and none of the files. Switching the media content type from 'all' to 'music' and them back again does seem to make it scan again ok eventually (or it may just be that retrying a number of times is eventually successful).

One more factor, which may or may not be coincidence, is when I enabled the i-tunes server as well, the Twonky folders showed as empty on the clients a few minutes later. I stopped the i-tunes server and manually rescanned in Twonky without any success at all until I rebooted the 109, after which the Twonky scan ran ok first time.

Any ideas? - I notice one of the beta release notes mentions a rescan issue with Twonky and large media collections, so could this be something that is already fixed in the next firmware release?

John
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear John:
I want to check the issue you mentioned,
Can you let me know the firmware version, and the Twonkymedia's version you run on the TS NAS?

Thanks
Cheers,
Rezillo
Starting out

Post by Rezillo »

Thankyou for the reply.

I seem to have got round the intermittent loss of content by splitting the top file structure of my mp3s into two, after finding in the faq that Twonky does not like more than 300 folders in a single list (I had 346).

However I've then tried enabling itunes server and it still seems to immediately cause the loss of Twonky content. As before, I have to disable itunes and reboot the 109 before Twonky will scan the folders properly, and even then it takes several tries.

This is not really a huge problem as i've found that even with the itunes server running, it takes quite a while before the PC client program loads the content list of such a large collection (20,000 files) and it is quicker for the clients to use a local file without having the server running.

Firmware version is 1.1.2 Build 1012T
Twonky 4.4.2

Thanks

John
engowen
New here

Post by engowen »

QNAP just announced it will support PSP and N95. http://www.pr.com/press-release/59376

But i'm sure it will not via DLNA.
Rezillo
Starting out

Post by Rezillo »

The remote control function looks great - I wonder if as well as the N95, more conventional wifi PDAs will support this?

One of the problems with an audio streaming device (I have a Noxon 2) is that it is difficult to see the display when seated at any distance and a remote like this would be a huge improvement for ease of use.

John
rajudm
First post

Twonky Server - No tracks available on PS3

Post by rajudm »

Did the new official firmware 1.1.3 fix the issue? What is the best practice in arranging the media on NAS's QMultimedia folder so that size of folder and files doesn't affect the Twonky's functionality?

I am setting up the TS-109Pro (recieved it last week) to serve the media content to PS3 using TRENDNET 11n router. It worked great for a day, but when new files were added and folders re-named there appears to be no content.

thanks
QNAP 109Pro
500 GB WD
Rezillo
Starting out

Post by Rezillo »

1.1.3 did not change this behaviour for me in that enabling I-tunes server still immediately wipes out the tracks for both my players (albums etc. just dispay "empty" and the number of tracks in the Twonky status page is zero).

Whether it rectifies the number of folders issue, I don't know as I haven't reinstated a 300+ folder structure to test it after 1.1.2. My folders mainly go artist/album. I had 300+ artist folders in one directory and I've now split them across two, "mp3s A to N" and "mp3s O to Z". This seems to be stable apart from the I-tunes server issue.

John

Return to “Media Streaming”