installation issues

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
WhiteHexagon
Starting out

installation issues

Post by WhiteHexagon »

Hi All,

Is it normal that the 'Quick Install Wizard' takes a long time to initialise the disks the first time you install? It's been ticking over for the last hour without showing any progress...

The info light is flashing red and green, does that mean something?
I'm using a new mac MBP with OSX Tiger. I followed the install instructions, but when it asked for the firmware, I pointed it to the version I just download as shown below.

Cheers

Peter

TS-209
Configured RAID 1
TS-209_20070831-1.1.1.img
2x Western Digital WD5000AAKS WD Caviar 500GB
WhiteHexagon
Starting out

Post by WhiteHexagon »

update:

I tried a direct cable connection, and also an updated firmware I found in your support channel:

U_TS-209_20070928-1.1.2.img

Now at least the disk initialisation seemed to complete, the Mac Quick INstall Wizard now hands when it tries to install software. The CPU goes to 100% and I have to force quit the application. On trying again it seems the network settings have been remebered and also the disks appear to be configured, but I can't install the software.

Any tips?

Peter
WhiteHexagon
Starting out

Post by WhiteHexagon »

well after many wasted hours I can report back that finally I have the system running. For those with similar issues, the final thing that 'worked' for me was the latest mac installer with firmware 111. But this only after using the previously mentioned more up-to-date firmware to get the disks initialized.

Overall I'm very disapointed with my experience of this product so far. Next I need to find out:

1 why it seems to be so slow for SMB
2 why the drives dont spin down
3 why the internal fan is noisier than my mac which generates alot more heat!
4 why i cant ftp

Looking forward to some 3rd party firmwares!!

My advice so far is wait for version 2!!

Regards
Peter
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Hi Peter,

Sorry about that. For the problems that you mentioned in the last post, we need to look into more details about the NAS configurations to clarify the causes, like the HDD you're using, the FTP settings etc. You may submit the online support form (in my sig.). Our technical support will help you sort them out.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
WhiteHexagon
Starting out

Post by WhiteHexagon »

update:

1) found a tip on another NAS site relating to mac OSX access to SMB.
This setting increased the speed quite a bit for me ymmv. Wanted to share this with any other macc owners having installation / speed issues.

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

2) I did another install from scratch and the drives seem to spin down now.

3) Fan noise is still a big issue on this box. The auto mode seems to stay on medium the whole time. Setting it to low is a bit better, but still not acceptable for such an expensive box. Surely the box is solid enough for some passive cooling solution, or expensive enough for a high quality silent fan.

4) I haven't tried this again, but from my experience so far AFP is the way to go for macs, at least in terms of speed.

What else, well I bought a d-link dir-655 to sit between the MBP and TS-209. It seems to work fine for 4k jumbo packets but fails at 9k. Web pages from the NAS fail to render. No idea what that could be, normal web browsing was fine.

One thing I do like is the bittorrent client. Would be nice to have an option to add multiple torrents in one go. Also I had the list of torrents just now showing only the string '00' on a blue background (download station pages, view finish list only has the string 0 in the center pane) looks like another bug?

Regards,
Peter

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”