Encryption

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Ottoman
New here

Encryption

Post by Ottoman »

Truecript implementation please.
j_lysdal
Getting the hang of things

Post by j_lysdal »

Its "TrueCrypt", :) But id also like to see that.
Ottoman
New here

Post by Ottoman »

j_lysdal wrote:Its "TrueCrypt", :) But id also like to see that.
While on the subject of being pedantic, it is not "Its", but "It's" which is short for It is".
j_lysdal
Getting the hang of things

Post by j_lysdal »

Ottoman wrote:
j_lysdal wrote:Its "TrueCrypt", :) But id also like to see that.
While on the subject of being pedantic, it is not "Its", but "It's" which is short for It is".
It was not my intention to insult you in any way!
btw, will you donate a keyboard with the " ' " on it?? :P
mulder
Know my way around

Re: Encryption

Post by mulder »

I agree with the quote that some encryption is better than none irregardless of the performance hit. Data today is encrypted for good reason and I'm not sure why this is not a 'feature' of SOHO appliances vs. only being available on very expensive business related NAS. Home owners should have some level of data protection.

This should be taken to the Qnap developers to have some open source software encryption support (TrueCrypt comes to mind). I use TrueCrypt on my windows machines without any issues. Another alternative is to have a QPKG Wine (Open Source Software for running Windows applications on *nix) available for install. This will allow one to install some windows apps (TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org / BC Archieve http://www.jetico.com/bcarchive.htm) to run on the appliance.
809U-RP / fw: 4.0.1 Build 20130604 / HDD: 8 x WD Green 2TB
niwa2
Experience counts

Post by niwa2 »

the x86 NAS models (x39, 509, 809) already support volume encryption (256bit AES).
see here: http://www.qnap.com/images/products/com ... n_NAS.html
my guess is that the encryption software that is used is either not available for the ARM architecture which the 109, 209 and 409 are based on or that the decrease in performance is not acceptable on ARM systems.
TVS-1282 | Version 4.4.3 | 3x 12TB WDC WD121KRYZ RAID5
TS-639 Pro | Version 4.2.6 | 5x 3TB WDC WD30EFRX RAID5 as Backup
LianLi EX-50 with 3x 2TB SAMSUNG HD203WI + 2x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
LianLi EX-503 with 5x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
mulder
Know my way around

Post by mulder »

I would take a performance hit on my system (TS-219) then have no encryption at all. For me this is like insurance. You keep using it until something drastic happens. At that point you say 'whew' thank goodness I had insurance. The same applies for encryption because if your' data is stolen or somehow compromised you can say 'whew' thank goodness it's encrypted.

Of course you then curse the fact you're lost your NAS or hard drives but that's a small price for piece of mind :-)
809U-RP / fw: 4.0.1 Build 20130604 / HDD: 8 x WD Green 2TB

Return to “Features Wanted”