Improving SLOW file copy / move / delete

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

As I mentioned in thispost, all copy or move file operations are incredibly slow using my TS-201. e.g. copying 4 files of 100mb from qdownload to "backup" folder on the Qnap takes 5 (five) hours!

Can anybody think why and how to improve it? - It's basically unusable to do anything but make backups.

My setup:
netgear DG834GT
Qnap TS201 (latest firmware)
3 vista pcs, 1 vista laptop
1 XP SP2 pc
TS201
Firmware: U_TS-201_20070612-2.1.0.TELNET
kozmoz
New here

Post by kozmoz »

I have the same problem with my TS-101. I'm working with vista pro.
Copying and reading files from my computer to the TS-101 is very slow.
On my XP computer is everything normal. Good read/write speed

greetz

kozmoz
po.box
Starting out

Post by po.box »

Hi all,

It seems that no one is taking this topic seriously. ':x':cry:' I’m here because of the same problem.

My TS-101 is connected onto my gig backbone. The TS-101 stat page shows that it is connected at 1000mb. As a very simple test, I’ve connected a XP workstation with a gig Ethernet card and then transfer some files. The workstation NIC shows a utilization rate of between 4%-6%. I then connected another gig workstation and transfer files between them. Utilization rate on both workstations were between 85%-99%. A Vista Ultimate workstation gave the same results. I’ve check and tried changing every parameter on the TS-101 but it did not make any difference. My TS-101 firmware is also up-to-date. I thought it was just me but apparently not.

When playing AVCH videos on my PS3 from the TS-101 (media server) it jerks really badly. I have no problems playing the same video from my camcorder (via USB).

Help please,
:x
martenk
New here

Post by martenk »

Hi,

I use the MOVE-command in the ftp-klient FlashFXP, it works fine for me. I have a TS-109 by the way, shouldn't matter though, as long as you ran the QNAP as ftp-server.
po.box
Starting out

Post by po.box »

Martenk,

Thanks for our input but we were referring to the internal TS-101 RJ45 1gig Ethernet NIC. It is not performing at the expected/accepted 1gig LAN speed (currently operating at < 10% of expected performance). We are just transferring files over our 1gig Ethernet LAN. It’s most likely not a user and /or installer problem but rather a hardware problem.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

can you issue "top" on command prompt and see if any process is chewing up the CPU power while u do the file copying?
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
po.box
Starting out

Post by po.box »

Hi QNAPAndy,

WOW a real tech! Thanks for checking this thread!

At first I thought it was my anti-virus slowing things down but it wasn’t (I’ve disable all background apps for this test). I have an over clocked Core2 Quad Extreme QX6850. Utilization of 3 CPUs were showing at 0%, the forth was showing a utilization of no more than 15% at very short intervals returning to 0%. The test was done under Windows XP and Vista Ultimate so I don’t have a “top” command but the CPU usage figures came from a reliable source.

thx
playithard
New here

Post by playithard »

po.box wrote:The test was done under Windows XP and Vista Ultimate so I don’t have a “top” command but the CPU usage figures came from a reliable source.
connect to your turbostation with telnet and use the command 'top' during copy of some files.
lunto
New here

My 109 & Vista is also dreadful

Post by lunto »

I really don't know where to go with my 109 - the performance with Vista is close to death-inducing and it all sounds very much like the other posts here. On a copy I'm getting about 80kbs despite being on a 100mb fully switched network. Suffice to say that XP is fine. I ran "top" during file explorer usage (ie when explorer locks up for 20 seconds) and saw nothing out of the ordinary. SMDB was top with 1.5% CPU. Other than top itself, everything else was sub 1%. The load averages were 0.00, 0.10, 0.07 so clearly next to nothing is happening on the CPU.
lunto
New here

why no response?

Post by lunto »

I'm finding QNAP support very poor. This thread has been pending an answer on Vista related performance issues for 6 days now. The standard post back from QNAP support appears to be "run a top command and see if anything is consuming CPU". This is an L1 support response and it's not sufficient to resolve these issues, particularly when no answer comes back at all. We need support response faster.

Frankly, I'm on the point of returning my device to QNAP on the grounds that it clearly does not meet specifications.

Please be prompt in responding to support issues.
kc
Starting out

Re: why no response?

Post by kc »

lunto wrote:I'm finding QNAP support very poor.
Agreed - when is is a fix going to be posted?

On many of these threads, a tech person pops up & says to do some telnet enquiry and then just disappears - that's not "support"!
TS201
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi Guys,

of all the probs you see in this forum me and the other two are all to support on this forum and we are sorry if we missed you.

We normally first look at the issue and prioritize them and always trying our best to duplicate the prob. if we can't duplicate the same here, (we normally duplicate the prob in batches, eg: 100, 500 or 1000 times) we still try to provide hints or stuff i know that might lead to an answer based on my experiences.

There are cases we'd like to see too when the support comes from other users who had the same prob and either they solved it or still there. Then we will give it a bit wait to see if more users are having the same symptoms. Then we will start to intervene and to track down the bug and to solve it.

I was just providing a hint because there was a user who had the same situation but looks it didn't help but still if you can PM the ssh i'd have a check for u.
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

playithard wrote:
po.box wrote:The test was done under Windows XP and Vista Ultimate so I don’t have a “top” command but the CPU usage figures came from a reliable source.
connect to your turbostation with telnet and use the command 'top' during copy of some files.
This is what i was trying to see. There might be cases that some processes is taking up all the cpu usage and so it'll be real slow when copying files, this applys to the general PC world too i think.
kc
Starting out

Post by kc »

But seriously Andy, it would be more helpful if you assumed less unix experience...

...and if you explained what you were looking for and why, when you ask somebody to runs some command or other.

So for example...what does on earth does this actually mean ???:
QNAPAndy wrote:...
but still if you can PM the ssh i'd have a check for u...
or this ???
QNAPAndy wrote:...can you issue "top" on command prompt and see if any process is chewing up the CPU power...
TS201
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

kc wrote: But seriously Andy, it would be more helpful if you assumed less unix experience...

...and if you explained what you were looking for and why, when you ask somebody to runs some command or other.
yeah you are right. i agree.

So for example...what does on earth does this actually mean ???:
QNAPAndy wrote:...
but still if you can PM the ssh i'd have a check for u...
Sorry that was probably me in a hurry to get some lunch at 2pm before the shop closes i think. my fault.
QNAPAndy wrote:...can you issue "top" on command prompt and see if any process is chewing up the CPU power...
Maybe yeah, I've been dividing the users to two types myself. linux/non-linux users and only the first who would come to forum, latter never. sorry guys, i'll try to be more of a help in general language and provide my support in a more descriptive and much clearer manner.

soo.. prob still exists right? can you guys duplicate them 100%?

Return to “File Sharing”