Drive doesnt initialize?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
New here

Drive doesnt initialize?

Post by newbie »

hi, i just ordered a TS109 and i have a brand new WD5000YS drive, i plugged it all in as said but when i use the software to initialize the drive, it doesnt happen, its pauses on the first screen and i know it recognizes as it shows up on the qfinder but it doesnt initialize?

it says "failed to get a response from the server. do you want to try again?"

what do i do?
kent
QNAP Staff

Re: Drive doesnt initialize?

Post by kent »

newbie wrote:hi, i just ordered a TS109 and i have a brand new WD5000YS drive, i plugged it all in as said but when i use the software to initialize the drive, it doesnt happen, its pauses on the first screen and i know it recognizes as it shows up on the qfinder but it doesnt initialize?

it says "failed to get a response from the server. do you want to try again?"

what do i do?
Please directly connect ethernet cable between your PC and TS-109, then init again.
BTW,
when you get the message, can you let us know QFinder stoped in which step?
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
New here

Post by newbie »

i have done all that, its connected directly as normal, without any devices etc

when you press yes it prepares all the changes and then it says

and the drive itself makes this funny noise every second or so like a clock when it does initialize and then sometimes when i try to do it again it doesnt?

ill post up pics in a minute
New here

Post by newbie »

kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

m....what is the result when you click "retry"?
Also can you disable virus-scan software or firewall in your PC and try it again?

If still fail, please follow below procedure and try again:
1. Booting system without HDD
2. After booting, then hot plug-in your HDD
3. Use QFinder to do init again

Please let us know the final result, thanks.
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
New here

Post by newbie »

ok ill try it now with no drive in, and there is no virus software on and no firewall problems as i have set it to off
New here

Post by newbie »

still the same problem? so what else can it be, the hard drive is brand new so there is no worries with that
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

newbie wrote:still the same problem? so what else can it be, the hard drive is brand new so there is no worries with that
Hi newbie,

Have you got your HDD initialized finally? If not, we'll forward your questions to our technical support.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
monitor
New here

same problem

Post by monitor »

Hi,

I have the same problem with a brandnew TS-101 and a Seagate Barracuda. The initialisation process finishes always up to 95% than the Network connection breaks down and you have to Power off/on the unit. I ve tried both Web-Interface and Install-Wizard, with the same results.

I ve tried to power up the unit without HD and to hotplug the HD. Initialisation is not possible, because the unit says: No HD found.

Best
monitor
1z2x3c
New here

Re: same problem

Post by 1z2x3c »

Me too - same problem.

I have a TS-109 with a Seagate Barracuda 750MB drive.

I will try the suggested fixes.

UPDATE -- tried the suggestions (disabled Mcafee and XP Firewall and connected Qnap directly to PC). No luck.

The rest of my configuration is:
PC with XP (SP2), McAfee, QNAP attached to d-link router.

My networking software (Network Magic) recognizes the device and the installation gets about 2/3 completed before it gives me the error message so I doubt its a connection problem. At some point just before the error message I notice the HDD light goes out on the Qnap.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated!!
Last edited by 1z2x3c on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alinghi2007
New here

Post by alinghi2007 »

I have the same problem.....TS-101 and Western Digital HDD.
1z2x3c
New here

Post by 1z2x3c »

any luck alinghi2007, monitor, or newbie?

I've tried everything i can think of....
monitor
New here

Post by monitor »

Hi 1z2x3y!

I think that there are quite some posts on the board related to that issue. So I guess: It´s a firmware problem! :x
Any comments from the Qnap staff?

Best
monitor
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear Monitor and Newbie:
I would like to clarify:

On TS-101 & TS-201: The application is built-in in the 16MB flash memory. The QIW(Quick Install Wizard) is the program that helps us to find the NAS in LAN. If you double click the founded NAS in your QIW, then the IE browser will pop up. You will go to the main page of NAS. If you know the IP address of the NAS, you can also enter the http://NAS IP:6000/ to go to the main page without relying on the QIW.

So for the simple trouble shooting. You can press the default button for several seconds, this action will make the TS NAS be back to default settings. (Network: DHCP client mode; account/password: administrator:admin). DHCP mode means the TS NAS will automatically be assigned an IP address by the DHCP server in the local network.

You may connect your PC to NAS directly after you reset the TS NAS to default status. Because the NAS will not be assigned an IP adress from the DHCP server, after few seconds the NAS will be set as 169.254.100.100. Base on the fact you can configure your PC by a fixed IP, e.g. 169.254.100.2 then you should be able to go to the main page of NAS by using browser. (http://169.254.100.100:6000)

On TS-109 and TS-209
There is only part of the program of booting in the 8MB Flash. All the main applications are going to be installed in hard disk. The QNAP Finder will help user to find & complete the installation process including to install applications(firmware file you have from the product CD or download from QNAP website). You need to use the QNAP Finder (or Mac QIW in Mac OSX) to install the firmware to your TS-109 or TS-209 series.

[1] For the case of newbie.

He got a failed TS-109 hardware. The solution is to replace with a new working hardware.

[2] For the case of TS-101/201,
Please kindly check if you can use the IE browser to connect to your NAS. Sometimes the problem might be related to your network environment issue.

Please try to hold the reset button, and connect PC to NAS directly to simplify the environment. Use browser to open the main page (http://NAS IP:6000) . It might work, otherwise you might need to check with your reseller for a replacement.

Cheers,
Last edited by QNAPIvan on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
1z2x3c
New here

Post by 1z2x3c »

OK - just to clarify...If we can't get QNAP Finder to recognize the Server then its most like a hardware problem?

As mentioned I keep getting "Failed to get a response from the Server" error half way thought installation.

Just want to make sure before I return it.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”