openVPN

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
divmediat
New here

openVPN

Post by divmediat »

I'd like the possibility to run an openVPN server and client, this would be a really nice security feature for all Qnap NAS devices.

With this you can access your NAS from everywhere using SMB share or FTP without any security risks.

openVPN is available for Windows, Linux and more :)
silas

Post by silas »

ok... so go just buy an linksys router and install on it OpenWRT and than packages for OpenVPN:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=1800
divmediat
New here

Post by divmediat »

thanks for sharing,

but I wan't it up and running on my qnap nas.
wetwilly
Getting the hang of things

Post by wetwilly »

lol, vpn on NAS.

Totally unnecessary.

I have an WRT54GL with OpenWRT and use that for VPN just as silas recommended.

Works very well.
divmediat
New here

Post by divmediat »

I'm sure it does. It still doesn't change my mind.
wetwilly

Post by wetwilly »

good for you.

However I hope they never implement it!
divmediat
New here

Post by divmediat »

why?
dopee
Know my way around

Re: openVPN

Post by dopee »

divmediat wrote:I'd like the possibility to run an openVPN server and client, this would be a really nice security feature for all Qnap NAS devices.

With this you can access your NAS from everywhere using SMB share or FTP without any security risks.
I agree,
this would be a nice to have.
By the way, I got a linksys WRT54GL, but threw this crappy OpenWRT firmware away after a couple of days. It runs with Tomato firmware like a charm ;)
wetwilly

Post by wetwilly »

dopee: Which version of openWRT did you run?

I also like Tomato, very stylish UI and smooth overall.

Such a shame it doesnt have VPN client... =(
NAS: TS-209
HDD: 2x 750GB SATAII Seagate Barracuda(ST3750640AS)
dopee
Know my way around

Post by dopee »

wetwilly wrote:dopee: Which version of openWRT did you run?
I also like Tomato, very stylish UI and smooth overall.
Such a shame it doesnt have VPN client... =(
I don´t remember, it was the current version half a yaer ago,
btw there is an openVPN-mod for tomato:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=53233
but due to it´s cpu-load with more than one client connected it doesn´t work for me, so it would be nice to run OpenVPN on the QNAP...
QNAP TS-209 (yes, still running),
QNAP TS-251+
APS

Post by APS »

*kick*

I do miss VPN on my Qnap 209 Turbo Pro. I did read the entire thread and maybe it seems overkill to some people, but if Qnap has gone through the trouble of building in all these other features a "normal" NAS would/should not have (Twonkey, MySQL, Apache, PHP, etc. etc.), then I see no reason why there should not be an option for VPN. It's up to the buyer to to utilize it or not. Saying it's stupid or useless to include VPN only shows that you have limited your ability to see what the potential of this device can be for business related customers.

I definitely would use VPN. It would be extremely beneficial if I could (pre-)configure the entire 209, including accounts for VPN, and then hook it up or send it on its way to a customer, where ever that customer might be located. I do have a few that live abroad, and VPN is a big issue. Not having VPN will keep me from buying more than the one I bought now. It's not extremely handy to buy a router with VPN capabilities on top of every Qnap that I (or one of my customers for that matter) want to be able to access through VPN.

I can send my customers a server system with NAS and VPN, but I'd rather send them a Qnap 209 and have everything ready for use out of the box.

Another reason why I'd like VPN is an obvious one; you can integrate it with the custom accounts you can make with the Qnap. With a VPN enabled router you would have to make sure the accounts, including passwords, would be the same in both the NAS and the router.

I am very happy with my 209 Pro Turbo, but without VPN I am forced to buy PC's and set them up with NAS and VPN. I hope Qnap will implement VPN shortly. I have to deliver 5 small NAS servers with VPN within the next 4 months, and it would save a lot of time and money if I could use Qnaps for this.
Natzke
Starting out

Post by Natzke »

The difference between server software like Twonky and a VPN solution is that you need access to a WAN (or other network) to use VPN (VPN in your local LAN does not make any sense).

to do so you need a router. If you have a router you should install VPN on it because it is the best solution.
APS

Post by APS »

Natzke wrote:...to do so you need a router. If you have a router you should install VPN on it because it is the best solution.
I have to completely disagree with you here.

First of all,.. I wasn't comparing Twonky with VPN. I used it as an example to show that "less serious" software makes it onto the Qnap, while the stuff like VPN doesn't. Nice for home users, less nice for people that want to utilize it in a (small) business area. Comparing Twonky with VPN is like comparing Rollerblades with the Space Shuttle. But,.. feel free to do so.

Second,.. I don't think you really read my post because then you would have filtered out my arguments to do have VPN on the Qnap. If it is so stupid to have VPN on a server,.. then why do servers come with it out of the box? I guess the whole server business has gone out of their minds. Your argument to use a router for it is understandable, but you might also just say something like "It's stupid to have Twonky on the Qnap, if you want a multi-media station, you should get a Surround Sound Hifi System with Bluray, HDDVD, DVD and Music capabilities".

Third,.. your Router solution creates additional work and man-hours I am not looking for. I want the user accounts to be integrated with the server (NAS in this case), so I don't have to set up user account in the router and in the server. It's a really time consuming thing for an administrator if you have 100+ users that occasionally need VPN access to a server, and you need to change accounts on a router and on the server every time they change passwords. I need a server to take work work out of my hands, not to provide me with more work. I will use a router for... well (this may sound strange).. routing.
Natzke
Starting out

Post by Natzke »

APS wrote: I will use a router for... well (this may sound strange).. routing.
VPN is a routing issue.
APS

Post by APS »

Natzke wrote:
APS wrote: I will use a router for... well (this may sound strange).. routing.
VPN is a routing issue.
And for you that might mean that the entire VPN has to be run on a router. I think that would be rather short sighted. I'm not going to repeat everything I have been writing before,.. just scroll up for that. Maybe you'll understand one day when you run into situations that require you to broaden you vision :wink:

Return to “Features Wanted”