How to configure printer

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
kozmoz
New here

How to configure printer

Post by kozmoz »

Hello, I have connected a canon ip4300 usb printer on the USB port of my TS-101
Now in the settings screen (web interface) I see my printer under "device config > usb printer"
I can't find it on my computer in explorer or in the network. All other folders of the TS-101 are visible.
What should I do to print documents via the TS-101? Must I configure something in the printer properties..
Help me out

regards

kozmoz
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Hi kozmoz,

We didn't verify Canon printers at all. But if you're using Windows XP, you may try the following steps. Hope it works for you.

1. Open Printers and Faxes.
2. Delete the existing network printer (if any).
3. Right click the blank area in the Printers and Faxes window. Select Server Properties.
4. Click the Ports tab and delete the ports configured for the previous network printer (if any).
5. Restart your PC.
6. Open Printers and Faxes.
7. Click Add a printer and click Next.
8. Select Local printer attached to this computer. Click Next.
9. Click Create a new port and select Local Port from the drop-down menu. Click Next.
10. Enter the port name. The format is \\NAS IP\NAS namepr, e.g. NAS IP= 192.168.1.1, NAS name= myNAS, the link is \\192.168.1.1\myNASpr.
11. Install the printer driver.
12. Print a test page.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
kozmoz
New here

Post by kozmoz »

QNAPrei, I followed your steps on my computer and it's working!
It's also working on windows vista and XP

Thanks, I appreciate it very much :lol:

kozmoz
Finchy
Know my way around

Post by Finchy »

Hi there
I'm having a similar issue with my IP4300 and TS109.

I've followed those steps, but when I get to step 10 it won't accept find the printer. My Qnap is on 192.168.1.20 and it's called QNapServer - I've tried \\192.168.1.20\ and then different combinations (QNapServerpr, NAS QNapServer, myQNapServerpr) but none of them seem to work. Am I entering the name wrong?
hIppo
First post

Post by hIppo »

Finchy,

I had the same problem as you - Windows could not find the printer or browse for it, although it could see the Qnap.

There is a limit on the length of name for the printer, and I think you may be exceeding it with 'QNapServerpr'.

Try renamimg your server 'Qnap' and then see if you find the printer as 'Qnappr' (after going through all the steps 1-12).

Hope this works... :D

PS - I have a very similar printer (Canon ip4000)
Finchy
Know my way around

Post by Finchy »

Strange....that time it said incorrect username or password! Even though it didn't ask me for one and my laptop is connected via the Admin username!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”