What's QBack?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Ron1
Know my way around

What's QBack?

Post by Ron1 »

Does anyone know that QNAP have brilliant Portable Encrypted Backup Device?

Here it is. QBACK Series.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/21871/

Reviews
Techpowerup http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=33631

OZhardware
http://www.ozhardware.com.au/content/view/14/26/

Comparison Chart

QNAP redefines secure and automatic data backup. Try out QBack-25!

The Challenge to Prevent Data Loss

Digital contents have become an important part of our daily life nowadays. Most data like our work and records of personal life, e.g. photos are presented in digital form. However, most people only save their data in their desktop or notebook. While there is no other proper backup, once they suffer from virus attack, hard disk crash, or their computers are stolen, all the data will be gone. Further troubles and loss may be induced like personal or company confidences are blabbed.

The most important data for me are business e-mails and work, personal digital photos, and favorite URL links. These files are essential and it would cause terrible influence if they are lost. Therefore, I used to back up the files by USB pen drive and CD-ROM burner. Somehow, these methods are inconvenient. The capacity of the USB pen drive is too small to save large amount of data, and it takes much time to drag and drop the files. CD-ROM burning can be time-consuming too. It takes much effort to search for a certain file from a huge lot of CDs one by one. The good news is, backup is no longer a difficult job when I found QBack-25!

The New Choice of Automatic File Backup- QNAP QBack-25

QBack-25 is a backup solution comprising a 2.5” external USB box and the professional backup software. It is highly portable and supports large storage capacity. What makes it different from other USB drives is that it integrates unique automatic file backup features (Hands Free, Auto Sync) and AES 256-bit secure data encryption. These excellent features form a total backup solution to enable handy and secure data backup. By a few simple steps, you can leave QBack-25 to back up all your computer data automatically. QBack-25 is especially suitable for business users who need easy, convenient and secure data backup!

How to use QBack-25 step by step:

Step 1- Open the package
The package of QBack-25 is really impressive. The stylish USB case is accompanied by a soft leather cover for protecting the machine which makes it highly portable. There is also a 35-cm twin-head USB cable that the length is just appropriate to connect to a notebook.

Step 2- Assemble the QBack-25 hardwareSimply run the CD-ROM in the package, the software will show an illustration to demonstrate how to install a 2.5” hard disk in QBack-25 with the tools provided. The instructions are clear and simple that novice users like me can install the product quickly.

Step 3- Install QBack software
The software installation is even simpler. Follow the instructions to install the software and plug in the assembled QBack-25 to the USB port of the computer, QBack-25 is ready to use.
Advanced AES256-bit encryption
The first time you install QBack software, QBack will partition the drive into two disks: “Public Disk” and “Secure Disk”. You can freely adjust the capacity of both drives.

Hidden disk space-Secure Disk
After the installation completes, you will find two drives partitioned by QBack in “My Computer”. The Secure Disk can only be accessed by authorized password. The Secure Disk will be hidden unless a correct password is entered. Unauthorized users will not be able to access the drive.
The encrypted Secure Disk supports AES 256-bit encryption technology (AES is the data encryption technology adopted by U.S. FBI with the highest security level). After backing up files to the Secure Disk, the data is safely protected.
This is a very useful function as I often need to visit the customers and share the presentation files with them. I can now save the sharing information in the Public Disk, and the confidential company and personal data in the Secure Disk. When sharing the public data with the customers, there is no need to fear leakage of the confidential data!

Easy to carry
Furthermore, the installation file of QBack software is saved in the Public Disk after the installation completes. There is no need to carry the installation CD everywhere and the software can be installed to other computers from QBack-25. This is absolutely convenient! Image
Step 4- Start to use the professional backup functions of QBack
How to use QBack to back up data easily? It is highly recommended to use “Automatic Backup” and “Instant Backup”.

How to use these functions:

Automatic Backup
Automatic backup is the highlighted function of this product. The backup software QBack will “synchronize” the selected files and back up the exact data to QBack-25. The whole backup process is automatic and hands-free.
In my daily work, I save frequently modified files on the “Desktop” and in “My Documents”, so I choose the files in these folders for automatic file backup. When the files or folders are modified or new files are added, QBack will back up the files automatically.
PS: Automatic backup helps to monitor and execute the backup job for indicated paths in real-time. Those files which are locked by running applications will not be backed up in this mode, e.g. e-mail backup (Outlook and Outlook Express) is provided in other modes, i.e. “Instant Backup” and “Schedule Backup”.
Schedule Backup
You can set daily, weekly, or monthly schedule for QBack to back up selected files and folders. For example, you can configure schedule backup at 10pm every day and let QBack copy the files automatically.
Instant Backup
“Instant Backup” is another powerful function for immediate backup of all selected files. To use this function, go to the Instant Backup page, specify the file paths to back up, select the destination drive, and click the “Start Backup” button.
Instant backup provides certain data backup which is not supported by automatic backup, e.g. e-mails in Outlook and Outlook Express. I usually run instant backup before meeting or lunch break by pressing the one touch backup button. When I get back, QBack-25 has copied all the data!
OTB (One Touch Button) Backup
There is a smart and convenient design. You can execute “Instant Backup” by simply pressing the button on QBack-25 box. QBack will backup all the files which are selected in instant backup mode.
http://www.qnap.com/images/products/App ... tion09.jpg
PS: “Instant Backup” will be executed when pressing the button on QBack-25 box by default. This function can be disabled in “System>One Touch Button Settings”.
Other Dedicated Design:

Easy e-mail backup
Have you ever thought of backing up e-mails by just one click? When you use QBack, you can select “Outlook” or “Outlook Express” in the “Backup Source”, and click Start Backup. All the mails will be copied to QBack-25 immediately. Data in “My Documents”, “Favorites”, and “Desktop” can also be backed up in the same way.
Incremental backup to enhance backup speed
QBack adopts “Incremental Backup” technology which enables backup of modified files only after the first time backup. When the total file capacity is very large, but the modified part is small, incremental backup is helpful to save the time and effort.
I tried to back up the drive D. It took some time to do the first backup since the disk size is 20GB. After that, I modified and backed up some files, about a few MB, for the second time, it took about only 1 minute to complete the backup. Incremental backup is really efficient!
Guaranteed successful backup
There are also smart features to ensure successful backup without manual monitoring.
(1) Pre-calculation of file size and available disk capacity
QBack will calculate the size of the files to be backed up and the available disk capacity. It provides the details of the file number and size, and will alert users against insufficient storage to ensure continuous and successful backup.
(2) Ignore the Error and Continue:
In the traditional way of “copy and paste backup”, the job is usually interrupted by errors, e.g. the files are locked by certain applications or there is timeout in copying large files. It is difficult to finish a complete backup. But now QBack provides a feature that I can choose to let QBack ignore the errors and continue the backup automatically. There is no need to monitor the backup process all the time. QBack will also generate a detailed summary when backup is completed.
(3) Turn off the computer after backup is finished:
You can set to shut down the computer automatically after backup completes.

File Filter
To exclude certain files for backup to save time and storage capacity, you can use the “File Filter” function of QBack. You can set rules to skip specific file types. For example, to exclude some temporary files which are named with “~*.*”, you can add the file type in QBack’s File Filter. All the files of this type will be skipped in all the backup jobs.
Hidden Files Backup
QBack can back up all the files including hidden files in your computer. You can right click the files and select Explore��Tools��Folder Options��View��Show Hidden Files and Folders. Then click “Apply”. The hidden files will then be shown in QBack for backup.
Show hidden files:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

Convenient “Instant Restore”
When the data on your computer is lost or the hard drive is rebuilt, you can use “Instant Restore” function of QBack to restore the data easily. Select the source drive and the correct user and computer, then choose “Restore to original path”, and execute Instant Restore. QBack will restore the data to the original path. Moreover, e-mails and contacts in Outlook and Outlook Express can be restored in the same way. You can use the mail service immediately after restoration. You no longer need to suffer from the complicated procedures of traditional copying and CD burning, or checking the CDs one by one to restore the files.
PS: All of your backup files (Automatic Backup, Schedule Backup, Instant Backup, and OTB Backup) will be stored in the same folder QBackData in the Public Disk or Secure Disk according to your selection. The folder is named after “Your user name@Your computer name”.

Conclusion

Data backup is an important job which is often ignored by most users. QBack simplifies backup and enables everyone to back up data easily.
The valuable features of QBack include:
(1) Automatic Backup: Automatic synchronization of mirroring backup data in QBack to ensure convenient and secure data backup.
(2) Built-in AES 256-bit data encryption technology: All confidential data in the secure disk is automatically protected with data encryption. Only authorized access is allowed.
(3) Incremental backup technology enables speedy and efficient backup.
(4) Easy backup of e-mails and files in Favorites and My Documents etc.
(5) Instant Backup and Schedule Backup are very comprehensive and easy to use.

The professional design of QBack-25 enables users to enjoy the competitive and excellent backup functions. Give a try to QBack-25, you will find automatic and secure backup are all at your fingertips!
Rock n roll TS-409............
psikey
Been there, done that

Re: What's QBack?

Post by psikey »

I bought a QBack-35S as a backup (sold now) for my TS-119 but even though the TS-119 powers down the drive when idle, the QBack didn't. Has this been sorted yet? My earlier enquiries were answered that the TS-119 firmware didn't support this at the time but QNAP would look into adding.
kirby
Starting out

Post by kirby »

Can the QBack software be used with other device eg TS 659 ?

If so, is it available for download?
pictod
New here

Post by pictod »

Can one use Qbackup to backup from a notebook/desktop pc to a qnap TS-419P+ over the internet.
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

Hi,

The Official QBack has been release.
It allows you to backup over the internet, to your local NAS or local encrypted hard drives.
It features:

- Simple mode or advanced mode for easy backup
- Instant backup and restore
- Auto-backup for real-time file synchronization
- File filter settings
- Multiple backup schedules
- Back up open files with VSS (snapshot technology for consistent backup)
- Support various backup destinations (NAS, FTP, WebDAV, MyCloudNAS)
- Support multiple destinations for scheduled backup
- Data backup to standard external USB storage devices and USB memory stick
- External storage device encryption

http://www.qnap.com/download.asp

BR,
Jauss
reeyano
Starting out

Post by reeyano »

With the "incremental backup technology", which of the 3 forms of backup (Auto, Scheduled and Instant) does this work for? I just tried doing a second 'Instant Backup' and it proceeded to backup the original 244GB of files again.

Also, why isn't there an official user manual/guide to using the software? A forum post with some info is nice, but it's not exactly a complete guide to the software.

Thanks,
Reeyano
reeyano
Starting out

Post by reeyano »

Does anyone actually read these forum posts?

"Incremental technology" doesn't seem to work on Scheduled Backups either. I don't see what the point is if Auto-Backup is the only function that uses it (I'm assuming!)

Does QBack delete files that don't exist in directories anymore or does it just add files like NetBak Replicator did and pointlessly create many extra GBs of wasted space?
Joshua Friedman
First post

Post by Joshua Friedman »

Yeh, its very useful for backup storage specially for our digital storage thanks for sharing such a useful information.
vivalo
New here

Post by vivalo »

Where is the software?
I cant find it.
It possible to use with a TS112 NAS?
Regards.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi vivalo,
We've released NetBak Replicator 4, which has all the functions of QBack plus some extras.
You can download it from here
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=53784

Jason
GW65
First post

Post by GW65 »

Hi,

I'm currently using QBack, and have spent some time configuring the list of source files to back up from my computer. Now that QBack is obsolete and replaced by Netbak, is there a way of importing this list into Netbak? (It would be painful having to go through the whole process manually again...)

Thanks,
Gary
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

Dear Gary,

You can install NetBak Replicator 4 directly over QBack. (Do not uninstall QBack)
It will automatically retrieve you files selections and scheduled backup jobs into NetBak Replicator.

BR,
Jauss
meyenburg
Getting the hang of things

Post by meyenburg »

I've come to this part of forum because I need some information about Qback/NetBak.

I did as you wrote below:
QNAPJauss wrote: You can install NetBak Replicator 4 directly over QBack. (Do not uninstall QBack)
It will automatically retrieve you files selections and scheduled backup jobs into NetBak Replicator.
And yes everything was as before in QBack. But I lacked some important features I can't find:
The Qback/NetBak starts my PC every morning at 7:30 AM for doing a backup of directories I have specified. And it starts Qback/NetBak, but always ends in a popup, where It asks permission to run the backup.

How can I avoid this popup/question, so it can run completely unattended?

NB: I'm running Windows 7.

Preben L. Meyenburg
Brøndby - Denmark

TVS-663 with 6 x WDC WD20EFRX(6 x 2 Tb in Raid 6)
External USB Backup HD: Intenso USB 3.0 Device (NTFS, 2.73 TB)
External USB Backup HD: Intenso USB 3.0 Device (NTFS, 2.73 TB)
External USB Backup HD: ASMT 2105 (NTFS, 1.82 TB)
Fw: Version 5.0.1.2194 - Windows 10 (64bit)
softwebcorp
New here

Post by softwebcorp »

its generally used to backup the same file and also temporary files over the internet along with the portability.
thatdood
Getting the hang of things

Post by thatdood »

Any chance it had dedup capabilities or block level diffs that can do synthetic full backups?

Return to “Backup & Restore”