Qnap, linux & sonos; filesystems; and drive type.

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
onocentaur
New here

Qnap, linux & sonos; filesystems; and drive type.

Post by onocentaur »

I'm considering getting a TS-109 Pro for use with my linux PC and sonos music system. I'm pretty sure from what I've read that they'll all be able to work together nicely, but I just wanted to check before I buy one!

Also, if I bought one with a disk pre-installed, what filesystem would it use? How easy is it to change?

And: what's the difference between a standard drive and an enterprise one?
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear onocentaur
TS-109 Pro supports NFS, it allows you to expand the storage of your Linux PC.

For Sonos music system, as I know it use standard SMB/CIFS to share the music files. So it is pretty standard. Besides, TS-109 series will be an ideal choice because of its fanless; no-noise design for quiet home environment. (Myself I use TS-101 and TS-109 Pro at my home). I saw there are already some Sonos customers are using QNAP NAS for this applications. (you may check Sonos' forum).

Some of our reseller might provide the pre-install service with your TS-109 Pro units. The format of internal harddrive is EXT3. The installation process is very easy, just follow the QIG and the "Finder" utility you can finish the process in a flash.

Sorry I don't get the point of "standard drive and enterprise one".
Do you mean the harddrive or the TS-109 vs TS-109 Pro?

Cheers.
onocentaur
New here

Post by onocentaur »

Thanks.
I've decided to go for the TS-100; I don't need any of the extra TS-109 functions or speed, and I'm pretty sure I can use it with my linux system as I only need to be able to access/transfer using SMB.
ext3 is good :)
Standard/enterprise: qnap.co.uk offer the qnap systems with a choice of those drives, the enterprise is about £5 more...
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Hi, for your information is:

1. There is no Twonky buil-in in TS-100. (which you might not need it). It is QNAP's UPnP/DLNA which is based on Gmedia.

2. TS-100 is Freescale 200MHz, 32MB SDRAM. you will have slower transfer rate but for audio it might be enough for the bitrate.

3. the outlooking is Silver/white.

Cheers.
sjaglin
Getting the hang of things

TS-109

Post by sjaglin »

I personally chose the TS-109, also it does not support NFS you can use firefox to access, you ll only need a mac or pc for the first config, then you can dump windoze (AH AH AH). The ssh protocol is very efficient.

The extra power, the DDRII and the eSATA are future-proof (as far as it's possible in computers...).

Stef
QNAP TS-251B 4Gb 2x 1TB SOLAR POWERED (50%)
QNAP TS-119+Version 3.4.0 Build 0212T(1 TB) SOLAR POWERED (90%)TB
RaPi 3 and 4 -> OMV and Raspiblitz
SOLD EeePC 1000H Mandriva 2010.1, Puppy and XP SOLAR POWERED (50%)
SOLD ASROCK Ion 330 Mandriva 2010.1 SOLAR POWERED (50%)

Return to “Presales”