Better File management in the Web File Manager

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
weeliano
Starting out

Better File management in the Web File Manager

Post by weeliano »

I own the TS109 for the past few days, and so far it has performed wonderfully.

The Web File Manager's Web interface is good but it will be even better with more management tools like.

1. Upload level progress bar when uploading larger files, so that I can visually see how much of my file is being uploaded.

2. Ability to upload multiple files at once through the Web File Manager.

3. The ability to move files to other folders.

I'm also concerned about hard disk fragmentation, what is being done or are there any plans to address this issue?
Last edited by weeliano on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Thanks for your support to QNAP.

In reply to your questions,
1 & 2. These are good suggestions. We'll consider them.
3. This feature is in our roadmap. We'll announce the enhancement soon.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Re: Better File management in the Web File Manager

Post by QNAPRei »

weeliano wrote:I'm also concerned about hard disk fragmentation, what is being done or are there any plans to address this issue?
QNAP NAS uses embedded Linux system, and therefore doesn't need disk fragmentation. You may refer to here for explanation.

Hope this helps.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
weeliano
Starting out

Post by weeliano »

Thanks for taking my suggestions into consideration and also the link explaining why Linux doesn't need defragmentation!

I'm definitely looking forward to future firmware upgrades!

Keep up the good work and keep on making great products!
divmediat
New here

defragmentation tool

Post by divmediat »

Yes indeed, a fragmentation tool would be useful, or atleast include 'fsck' so that you can analyze the degree of fragmentation and take action (copy & delete fragmented files).

Fragmentation is especially high when using Windows clients accessing a linux filesystem(EXT3).

'Our investigation shows that the difference lies in the filesystem allocation and handling of sparse files. In particular, the Windows client makes an assumption that the CIFS fileserver uses NTFS*, a filesystem that assumes files will be data-full (not sparse). This contradicts a fundamental assumption of ext3--that files are sparse--and leads to fragmentation of files and degraded performance on ext3. Further, we’ve seen this behavior manifested for a broad range of media applications including iTunes'
(...)
' we have observed that one 3.5GB video file used in our testing was fragmented into 49,986 extents. A simple copy to a new location defragmented this file to 28 extents (26 extents is ideal). '

source: http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/arti ... g/1259.htm
Stefano
Getting the hang of things

Re: defragmentation tool

Post by Stefano »

divmediat wrote:Yes indeed, a fragmentation tool would be useful, or atleast include 'fsck' so that you can analyze the degree of fragmentation and take action (copy & delete fragmented files).
fsck is implemented, you can issue this command, I only do not know how to use it.
SS-439 Pro (running on 3.4.0 Build 1207T) as a backup server with RAID 5 (4 * 300 GB)
TS-109 Pro (running on 3.3.0 Build 0924T) as a file-, web- & media Server (1 TB)
rhumnoiur
New here

Confirguring Sickbeard on TS-251

Post by rhumnoiur »

Looking for help configuring sickbed on my Qnapp TS-251...I've installed it, but I'm getting the message can't connect to server :x

Return to “Features Wanted”