Torrent Scheduling

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
46and2
First post

Torrent Scheduling

Post by 46and2 »

Hi guys,

I am very interested in a Qnap device, especially due to the BT abilities, but one things that is very important to me is to be able to schedule the BT downloads.

My ISP allows me extensive download usage between 1am and 7am, but is quite restrictive during other hours, so I need to know if it is possible via the Qget software to schedule the Torrents to only be active during certain times?

Cheers.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi 46 and 2,

Unfortunately QGet does not support scheduling download at the moment but we have added it to our feature list and will look into it for our software release in the future.

Andy
beneuto
New here

Re: Torrent Scheduling

Post by beneuto »

Just like to second this request for the same reasons.

It surprises me that even the more popular torrent clients dont seem to provide scheduling. I've tried scheduling port blocking at the router but with little success.

I think providing scheduling would enhance the "set and forget" nature of download station.
drsatan
Getting the hang of things

Re: Torrent Scheduling

Post by drsatan »

Hi guys,

I have scheduled downloads working. I currently use rtorrent however - see my HOWTO at http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=4940

You can also control the internal BT client via cronjobs to set when it starts and stops. The friendly staff at QNAP helped me with this, however I now use rtorrent so haven't set this up.

This might be a little technical, but I thought it worthwhile to capture for other users also:

Basically, I want to only downoad between 2am and 10am. What you could do, is create some cronjobs top start the BT client at 2am, and stop it at 10am.

To do this, edit the crontab and add the following:

Code: Select all

0 2 * * * /etc/init.d/btd.sh start  
0 10 * * * /etc/init.d/btd.sh stop
This means at 0 minutes past 2am, execute the '/etc/init.d/btd.sh start' command.
Then at 0 minutes past 10am, execute the '/etc/init.d/btd.sh stop' command.

The issues with this is that if the QNAP is rebooted, the BT client restarts. Perhaps there is a way to stop the BT client in the autorun sequence, but what I understood from the QNAP team is that the BT client needs to start normally in the autorun sequence, or it won't be able to see the start/stop commands.

So, if the NAS did reset, you could just issue the '/etc/init.d/btd.sh stop' command via SSH.

I would do a HOWTO on this, however I don't use it and don't really want to set it up. I don't want to do a HOWTO that could lead people astray. If someone else picks up on this and sets it up, let me know and perhaps we could work on one.

Cheers,
jason

Return to “Download Station and QGet”