HDD unmounts after power failure

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
tk1234
New here

HDD unmounts after power failure

Post by tk1234 »

In response to a thread that has moved and I am unable to reply to Titled 'HDD Unmounts'>>>

"Dear Marstar W and OliverB,
Sorry about that. We're following up your problems. Our technical support will contact you shortly."

I too just expierenced this problem on my TS109>>>

So I lost power to my Qnap and now am having MAJOR problems. Upon powering back up, the Power LED was blinking blue (firmware upgreade). My squeezebox could not connect to Slimserver, and I could not access any of the shares ("...not accessable...Path not found...), including the USB drive I had plugged in. I also could not access Qnap admin page using SSL. Strange. So i accessed admin using http:// and restarted the Qnap. Everything seemed to be fine now- no blinking lights. But, my Squeezebox still can't access slimserver, nor can I access Qnap shares, but I can access USB now. I am also unable to telnet or SSH into the Qnap to resart slimserver. or manually 'look' around. Looking into the Qnap admin, I see that my Hardrive is showing "Status: Unmounted". Uh-oh. I really, really don't want to lose 300 GB of music due to a re-format.

I would appreciate any similar help/replys.
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear tk1234:

In your case, the possible cause might be an abnormal shutdown occured when the NAS system was writing to some critical sections.

Please kindly arrange the environment, I would like to arrange engineer to log in to your system. (Although you mentioned, I need your help to double check)

1. Have the NAS for remote login by SSH or telnet
It seems you can access to the web interface. (However it might also be the cache in your browser)
Please check:
(1) Try to disable/enable the telnet function again (if you can do it). Check if you can telnet to the NAS via port 13131.
(2) Make sure if you can use "Putty" to SSH to enter the NAS via port 22.

If one of the above can work, please help to forward the port 22 and port 13131 on your NAT router to the private IP of your NAS. Please let us know when you environemt are ready, and send us your NAS IP address, account ID: password. Our engineer will log in to your NAS.

If you cannot have the environment be ready. Please try the below plan #2

2. Boot the NAS without HDD, and have the environment be ready for telnet.
Please help to try the procedure.
(1) Unplug the hard disk from the NAS board.
(2) Power on the NAS.
(3) the NAS will boot up, after it boot up successfully. you will hear a Long "beep".
(4) Try if you can telnet to the NAS via 13131 port
(Example: telnet 192.168.1.5 13131 , use default ID:password "admin:admin")
(5) If you can do it. Please keep the NAS turned on and plug the hard disk back to the NAS. And then let us know when the environment is ready. Our engineer will try to log in to check your system.

please help to PM me the information, or send the e-mail to me: ivanhsu@qnap.com

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
QErik
New here

My HDD is also unmounted

Post by QErik »

Cant format/init nothing.

Do I really need to format my HDD on a PC and then plug it back into my TS-109 ?

Is there a way to force a format?

Also if this corrupted disk is in the QNap, SH on port 22 is disabled. No way to Telnet 13131 or SH 22.

Strange. Suggestions?
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear QErik:
First, I would like to confirm if you are tk1234?

If you cannot telnet or SSH to the NAS when the HDD is plugged, then try to unplug the HDD from the NAS first and try to power on the NAS without HDD.
:arrow: If the NAS hardware is working:
(1) Press the Power Button. The power LED will light in blue. The Status LED will blink in red & green alternately.
(2) After few seconds, you will hear a short "beep".
(3) After it boot up successfully. you will hear a Long "beep".
Please check if you can go through these steps. You can verify if you have a good hardware(NAS board) on hand.

If no, please talk to your reseller for a replacement.

If yes. please continue:

(4) Run the QNAP finder, find the reported IP address from the TS-109. (example: 192.168.1.132 is found)
(5) in Start Menu, type "cmd". then input the command " telnet 192.168.1.132 13131 "
(6) You have to use the default ID/Password: admin/admin to log in.

If you can make it works on step (4)~(6)
Please keep the system turnned on and plug in the HDD back to the NAS.

Please have the environment be ready (Forward the telnet port 13131 to the LAN IP 192.168.1.132) and let us know your environment information. We want to check and try to save the data for you.

To answer your question,
There is no need to format the HDD on PC. The HDD formating is done during the TS-109 installation by using QNAP finder program. The HDD will be formated in EXT3 format.

If you want to re-format and re-install the HDD, then just go through the step (1)~(3) to boot up the NAS without HDD first. And run the QNAP finder program on your PC, the program will find the NAS and will prompt a windows to ask you if you want to do the installation. Just follow the steps and format HDD and re-install it.

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
tk1234
New here

HDD Unmounted

Post by tk1234 »

QNAPIvan,
Thanks for the reply and info. I will see what I can do to get my enviroment ready and let you know when it is ready. What is your relationship to QNAP? (just courious)

Tim
egon
Starting out

Post by egon »

Hi,

Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. Just a very short power outage caused my QNAP TS-109 Pro to become corrupt. The hardware device itself did not get damaged (after all, there was no power surge/voltage boost or anything) but the data on the hard disk were severely damaged. No data recovery tool and no Linux command was able to recover/restore my files to a usable form. The file system was extremely damaged. The QNAP TS-109 Pro is up and running again because I re-performed the setup procedure but my data were lost.

I really didn't expect the QNAP TS-109 Pro and the ext3 file system to be that sensitive to power outages. I have had power outages many times before with my desktop computer but never had such problems afterwards. And this post (http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... wer+outage) suggested that the QNAP TS-109 isn't that sensitive to power outages either. This may be true hardware-wise but data-wise I think this isn't true.

What I learnt from this is that I will never move data to the QNAP TS-109 Pro again but will always keep a backup somewhere else.

Egon
Markovich
Know my way around

Post by Markovich »

egon wrote: What I learnt from this is that I will never move data to the QNAP TS-109 Pro again but will always keep a backup somewhere else.
I learned many, many years ago that there is much to be gained from running all such equipment (computers as well as routers, NAS, ATA's, phones, modems etc) from automatic voltage regulated UPSes, in both providing high quality power (not the rubbish that often comes in directly from the power line) as well as allowing graceful shutdown in the case of power loss.

Equipment losses or damage (even the gradual weakening of solid-state components that can occur from repeated power anomalies caused by unconditioned power sources) have been non-existent since I adopted their use 12 years ago. The cheap PSU's supplied with modern electronics are worse than ever at dealing with and protecting their associated equipment from power fluctuations, and power fluctuations are more prevalent than ever given the ever increasing loads consumers and businesses place on their local supply.

Just a thought...

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
egon
Starting out

Post by egon »

I do have protection against power surges for my hardware because these devices are relatively cheap but UPSes are quite expensive, which is why I haven't bought one so far. But then again, my data should be worth it.

Can you tell me whether these UPSes consume a lot of power? Would I have to expect my electricity bill to increase notably?
Markovich
Know my way around

Post by Markovich »

egon wrote:I do have protection against power surges for my hardware because these devices are relatively cheap but UPSes are quite expensive, which is why I haven't bought one so far. But then again, my data should be worth it.
Your data and your equipment are definitely worth it. UPS prices have come down massively in recent years, and now cost a fraction of what they did 12 years ago, and represent excellent value for the protection they provide your equipment and data, and the all-round improvement in equipment stability UPSes provide.
Can you tell me whether these UPSes consume a lot of power? Would I have to expect my electricity bill to increase notably?
In all honesty I haven't closely looked into the issue. There's bound to be a cost for the battery monitoring and recharging, but this is a trickle process (99.9% of the time) and highly optimised for battery longevity etc, and should be minimal. I have no idea of the power cost of voltage regulation, where the original supply of lower or higher than normal voltages are smoothed for output to the connected equipment, but I again doubt it would be high. Basically, I believe the total UPS power draw should be relative to the total draw of the attached equipment, and douobt you would see the difference on your power bill (or total carbon emission).

My main issue is my using an unsupported UPS (Belkin AVR 1400va). It does support SNMP, but whether the QNAP can read this data from the USB port is anyone's guess. I'll be looking into this issue further in the hope I can get them to work together.

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
QErik
New here

The resetbutton

Post by QErik »

Thank you QnapIvan.

No I'm not tk1234.

Did not know it is possible to hot plugin a HDD on a running Qnap. Sounds dangerous.

What I did was to overload the BitTorrent with 4-5 concurrent downloads. Within an hour the Qnap disconnects network. Question is how to rebound from that?

I unplugged the Qnap (with a HDD corruption as the price) after I had tried the small resetbutton in the back.

The resetbutton doesnt' seem to do anything at all. At least not reboot the Qnap.
Questor
New here

Post by Questor »

I'm also having similar issues after a power outage with a TS-109 - there was no writing going on, Slimserver was running, but the disk seemed to be asleep - the NAS itself seems to be working, but the disk is unmounted
I also have plenty of data on there (most of it either not important or on DVDs somewhere) but I really don't want to have to upload it all again if I can help it

I must say, for 1 small power loss to cause this much trouble isn't particularly inspiring!
Questor
New here

Post by Questor »

Oh, and I should have said - I can telnet and SSH into the NAS, but can't cd to the HD (kinda obvious I guess if it's unmounted!)
Questor
New here

Post by Questor »

Hmm no-one has any ideas?
Looks like I'll be running the QNAP finder and recopying all my stuff then
QErik
New here

No clue

Post by QErik »

Hi all,

I have no clue.

Also, does anyone understand the resetbutton?
Questor
New here

Post by Questor »

I've just tried updating my firmware and not had any luck so that doesn't help me

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”