[Discussion] USB Device Compatibility List

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

[Discussion] USB Device Compatibility List

Post by QNAPRei »

USB Device Compatibility List

The USB device compatibility list is verified by the QNAP Quality Assurance Dept and is updated from time to time without notice.

You are welcome to share your USB device information with us. Please reply to this topic with the USB device model number and the QNAP product you are using.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
christian

Post by christian »

the following devices works fine with TS 209 on the USB Copy Port

Sony DSC F828 Digi Cam
Vosonic VP 300 Multicardreader inclusiv HDD
Buffalo USB Stick Ruf2-2RG
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

Hi christian,

Thanks.
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
Bacchus
Starting out

Maxtor OneTouch II

Post by Bacchus »

Howdy!

Connecting my Maxtor One Touch II to the QNAP (back side USB) adds a new directory to the QNAP file structure - under Public - called "music", which now has a subdirectory tree "external_drives/sdr" and then the actual content of the maxtor under here.

I already have my MP3 music collection in a directory called "Music" (capital M) which is of course a big mess if I access the drive from Windows.

Any suggestion is warmly welcome (and a CC copy to my qnap@berg.to would be much appreciated)

/Pontus Berg
Brucet
First post

USB DVD Writer connectivity to a TS101

Post by Brucet »

Is it possible to connect a dvd/cd writer to the USB disk port on the TS-101 and use it as a network shared device? I am thinking of a LaCie type device. If so are there compatibility issues with certain makes/models or will the generic USB 2.0 manage any?
batagy
New here

Re: USB DVD Writer connectivity to a TS101

Post by batagy »

Brucet wrote:Is it possible to connect a dvd/cd writer to the USB disk port on the TS-101 and use it as a network shared device? I am thinking of a LaCie type device. If so are there compatibility issues with certain makes/models or will the generic USB 2.0 manage any?
Yeah, I would ask the same here.
I thought that an external USB and/or SATA optical drive would be good to connect to the NAS (for example TS-109), for the purpose that contents of DVD-R discs, filled with music could be shared at the NAS, as any other shared data from HDDs. Of course the NAS has to control the external drive, and if we puts a DVD in it, it has to read in its contents.

So is it possible with QNAP NAS devives, or is that completely impossible?

Thanks
Best regards
gn0778
Starting out

Re: USB Device Compatibility List

Post by gn0778 »

Hello,

Fujitsu-Siemens Storage Bird XL 500GByte USB 2.0, external -> don't work together with QNAP TS-209

Seagate 300GByte Pushbutton Backup USB2.0/Firewire, external -> works fine

Kingston Travel Disc II 1GByte USB 2.0 data stick -> works fine

Greetings,

Gerald
p_v_veen
First post

Post by p_v_veen »

The following devices work fine with TS 109 Pro II on the USB Copy Port;
- Nikon Coolpix 3100
- Sony HDR-CX6EK

My other digital camera from Sony a DSC-H5 unfortunately doesn't work on the USB Copy Port. Although I have hope that in the future it will be supported with other firmware. Btw I currently use firmware 2.0.1 Build 0416T.
CharlesNoble
New here

Post by CharlesNoble »

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tested the Lacie 500gb external HDD with the QNAP TS-209 Pro?

I seem to have some issue getting the HDD to register on the QNAP. In NTFS format - nothing, so I will format it in FAT and try again. But is this worth it? Will it work? And it if not, why not? What's actually at fault that is stopping it from registering on the QNAP at all? :?:

Thanks for your help on this one :) ,
Charles
QNAPSimon

Post by QNAPSimon »

Charles

It would help if you can give us the model of your external HDD. You can also try connecting the external HDD to another USB port or restarting the NAS with the external HDD connected. I hope this helps.
CharlesNoble
New here

Post by CharlesNoble »

Hi Simon,

SUCCESS!! I have got my HDD to work with my QNAP (TS-209 II).

Problem:
I have an external HDD (Lacie 301103A External HDD 500gb [Hard Drive manufacturing number: ST350083] ) that I formatted with two partitions in NTFS format. When I plugged the HDD into the QNAP (without any reformatting), it did not react / recognise / do anything :cry: .

Solution:
I moved all my existing data that I had on my external HDD to another drive. Then wiped the external HDD and cleared off all partitions. Restarted the QNAP and plugged in the external HDD. The QNAP recognised and I reformatted the external HDD to FAT format and now it is working just fine :lol: .

Hopefully this helps anyone in a similar position.
Thanks for following this up Simon!!
Keep up the great work guys,
Charles
mackie
New here

Post by mackie »

I cannot get my QNAP 209 to recognise my external USB drive (WD MyBook 250GB).

When I first plugged it in the Qnap under "Device Configuration" spotted there was a USB disk attached, but listed it as "unmounted".

I then tried rebooting the Qnap, and it failed to recognise it at all, listing "No Disk"

I then unplugged the WD from the rear USB port it was on and put it on the other one, and it again listed it as unmounted. I have been unable to repeat this, and it now just lists it as as "No Disk", despite another reboot and moving between USB ports.

Is the WD MyBook just incompatible? It works fine on the PC.

Any help appreciated.
Nicodem
Know my way around

Post by Nicodem »

One more hardware is not working - Cooler Master USB enclosure X Craft 360 (RX-360-STBE-GP) - SATA -> eSATA/USB.
I tried with two hard disks that were working with PC without any problems via this enclosure. QNAP did not recognized HDD at all. Moved them (tried with both) to another, cheaper HDD enclosure and both of them were found and worked.

So Cooler Master is out. This was really strange but had to return it.
QNAP TS-219 with disk encryption firmware, 2x 1,5TB SEAGATE + 1 750Gb via USB for scheduled backup)
Popcorn Hour A-110 with 750Gb SAMSUNG HD753LJ
QNAP TS-459 4x 1.5TB SEAGATE RAID5
Diesel9a1
Starting out

Post by Diesel9a1 »

TS-209 sees and recognises the HDD, but how do I format it?

The Device config page keeps refreshing every 5 seconds and no confirmation or indication that the drive is being formatted.

The page shows this:

Manufacturer: ST332062
Model: 0NS
Device Type: USB 2.0
Total / Free size: 305245 MB / 196837 MB
File System: EXT 3

Any advice as to how I can reformat the drive or get the total & free size to equal each other? The main drives are 500gb and in raid 1 config.

regards

Pete
Windows 7
QNAP NAS TS-209 II Pro
2 x Barracuda ES.2 SATA 3.0-Gb/s 1TB
Version 3.3.0 Build 0924T
Diesel9a1
Starting out

Post by Diesel9a1 »

[Solution]
I ejected the HDD from the USB via the control panel in the 209. I then plugged the USB HDD into the laptop. It found it and via "My computer / Manage / Disk Management" I removed all partitions on the drive, created one primary partition, made it active, formated it then ejected it from the Laptop.

Plugged the drive back into the TS209, it found it, showed the correct storage, I formatted it to EXT3 and all is now working.

Pete
Windows 7
QNAP NAS TS-209 II Pro
2 x Barracuda ES.2 SATA 3.0-Gb/s 1TB
Version 3.3.0 Build 0924T

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”