VISTA PROBLEMS

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
DannagE
Starting out

VISTA PROBLEMS

Post by DannagE »

Read my last post to see what I've narrowed it down to.

Hi, I've been in contact with support on msn a few times without any real resolutions.

Right here are the specs and what is it running

1. 'Model name - TS-209
2. Firmware version - Version 1.1.1 build 0831T
3. Operation System (OS) - Vista 32Bit Ultimate
4. OS Language - English
5. Number of HDDs - 2
6. HDD model - Hitachi HDS721075KLA330 GK8O
7. HDD capacity - 750GB unformatted. 698.64GB formatted x2, 1373.19 GB total.
8. RAID configuration - Raid0
9. Services enabled - Just microsoft networking and multimedia. Everything else off at the moment
10. External devices - None
11. Network bandwidth/ MTU - GigE 1000mb, Jumbo Frame Support, MTU 9000

Its connected to a Netgear GS605 v2 router running 1000M with CAT6 cables.

The problem is that it seems to be going into standby on the box when I am in full use of the box, transfers, movies, music etc.

Its just seems to go into standby for fun on the hour every hour even when standby is turned off in the settings. I can be sitting here streaming a movie from it or listening to music and all of a sudden it will just stop playing at all. Then I have to wait about 2 minutes for the NAS to respond to me, then i have to restart the song or movie as it will only play upto the point before it freezes.

Its come to the stage that if something is not sorted out in the next week I'm going to be returning the box and changing it for another brand. If Q-nap would be willing to collect this box and test it for me then i have no problems with that. Better still if they would send me another one out so I can test it first to see if I have a dodgy box or if its a software fault then I would be happier.

So Q-nap if you are paying attention, can you please see whats going on or send me out another box to try.

Thanks
Dan Parrott
Last edited by DannagE on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keigotw
Starting out

Re: Standby problems

Post by Keigotw »

DannagE wrote:Hi, I've been in contact with support on msn a few times without any real resolutions.

Right here are the specs and what is it running

1. Model name - TS-209
2. Firmware version - Version 1.1.1 build 0831T
3. Operation System (OS) - Vista 32Bit Ultimate
4. OS Language - English
5. Number of HDDs - 2
6. HDD model - Hitachi HDS721075KLA330 GK8O
7. HDD capacity - 750GB unformatted. 698.64GB formatted x2, 1373.19 GB total.
8. RAID configuration - Raid0
9. Services enabled - Just microsoft networking and multimedia. Everything else off at the moment
10. External devices - None
11. Network bandwidth/ MTU - GigE 1000mb, Jumbo Frame Support, MTU 9000

Its connected to a Netgear GS605 v2 router running 1000M with CAT6 cables.

The problem is that it seems to be going into standby on the box when I am in full use of the box, transfers, movies, music etc.

Its just seems to go into standby for fun on the hour every hour even when standby is turned off in the settings. I can be sitting here streaming a movie from it or listening to music and all of a sudden it will just stop playing at all. Then I have to wait about 2 minutes for the NAS to respond to me, then i have to restart the song or movie as it will only play upto the point before it freezes.

Its come to the stage that if something is not sorted out in the next week I'm going to be returning the box and changing it for another brand. If Q-nap would be willing to collect this box and test it for me then i have no problems with that. Better still if they would send me another one out so I can test it first to see if I have a dodgy box or if its a software fault then I would be happier.

So Q-nap if you are paying attention, can you please see whats going on or send me out another box to try.

Thanks
Dan Parrott
I guess I have the same problem,
somes times when I am watching a video, it pauses for a few seconds
and then it continues. Sometimes it says I might not have access right
but then after a few seconds is ok. I am very sure I have the access right.
not sure why is doing that
I have TS-209
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

DannagE wrote: The problem is that it seems to be going into standby on the box when I am in full use of the box, transfers, movies, music etc.

Its just seems to go into standby for fun on the hour every hour even when standby is turned off in the settings.

Thanks
Dan Parrott
We will check the HDD status when disable standby function soon. I will reply the result tomorrow.
It is strange, so even you disable/enable standby, your HDD will automatically enter into standby on every hour?
I am Kent. Nice to meet you!
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

Keigotw wrote: I guess I have the same problem,
I have TS-209
Can you also let us know your setting?
1. What is the setting in the standby function?
2. What is the brand of your SATA HDD?
3. How do you watch a video? Which media software or media player you use ?
DannagE
Starting out

Post by DannagE »

Yes kent. It seems to hang, reset, go into standby every hour on the hour no matter what the settings are and they reconnect after about 1 - 2 minutes

I know that the standby works correctly though as when I put it on for 5 minutes and not use my pc it does go into standby.

I should test it under the 5 minutes of no use and see what lights are on and how it powers up and then do the hour test to see what happens

Dan
Keigotw
Starting out

Post by Keigotw »

kent wrote:
Keigotw wrote: I guess I have the same problem,
I have TS-209
Can you also let us know your setting?
1. What is the setting in the standby function?
2. What is the brand of your SATA HDD?
3. How do you watch a video? Which media software or media player you use ?
hi, the setting is set to 1 hour
the drive is 500GB Seagate SATA
to what the video I simply go in to the NAS server and lick on the file
and then media player will open it.

Before I had a T-201 with same config and same drive. I never has a lag or even messaging telling me I might not have acess right.

But with Ts-209 I get these issses :(
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

DannagE wrote:Yes kent. It seems to hang, reset, go into standby every hour on the hour no matter what the settings are and they reconnect after about 1 - 2 minutes

I know that the standby works correctly though as when I put it on for 5 minutes and not use my pc it does go into standby.

I should test it under the 5 minutes of no use and see what lights are on and how it powers up and then do the hour test to see what happens

Dan
Generally, from spin-down to spin-up should not takes 1-2 min. In our testing, it only takes 5-10 sec.
And because you are playing files, the HDD should not enter into standby.
When the connection broken in each hour, how do you know the HDD was going into standby? (From the status LED?)

So I don't fully agree it is caused by the HDD standby.
Could you kindly help to check the event log in TS server if there is any warning or error message?
Can you also do another test? Use ethernet cable directly connect to your PC, and play movie and listen music again...?
kent
QNAP Staff

Post by kent »

Keigotw wrote:
hi, the setting is set to 1 hour
the drive is 500GB Seagate SATA
to what the video I simply go in to the NAS server and lick on the file
and then media player will open it.

Before I had a T-201 with same config and same drive. I never has a lag or even messaging telling me I might not have acess right.

But with Ts-209 I get these issses :(
Hi,
If you can use ssh to login, please type command "ps", and post the result.
If you can't, please pm me your IP and open port 22, I will check it for you.
DannagE
Starting out

Post by DannagE »

Hi kent. Yeah, im sure its not hard drive spin down now as like you said it takes alot less time to boot from standby than it does from this kind of error.

When mine goes into error there are no messages in the logs. Status LED's seem fine.

I've done the cable directly thing as thats how I had it orignally connected. My pc has got 2 ethernet ports and for 3 days it was internet on one and the NAS on the other. Neither way worked correctly.

At the moment I've not returned it because im working daft hours at work, but I am coming to the end of the waiting game.

So basically, is there someone that I can send this off to for testing. Or will Qnap send me one out before hand to test it so I can see if its my NAS or something else that is happening. I don't believe that it is anything else on my computer as the lan is working perfecting fine as streaming from other computers.

Thanks
Dan
DannagE
Starting out

Post by DannagE »

Do QNAP support want to comment, or am i wasting my time? Seems I have been waiting for a long time now without any answers.

Dan
DannagE
Starting out

Post by DannagE »

OK, being as Qnap are not responding I have been doing some more testing. Seems that the problem that I am having is to do with Vista. As I have just watched a movie all the way through without the 1 hour reconnect....ON XP.

So clearly XP isn't having this problem, so either the communications from the NAS or Vista is having a conflict.

Later on I will try watching another movie on my laptop which is running Vista too and try and see if its just the vista install on my computer which is causing the problems or if it is Vista on the whole.

My main pc = Vista Ultimate 32bit
Laptop = Vista Buisiness 32bit

I'll let you know what I find out. Im off Ill so I have some time to sort through this today.

Dan
DannagE
Starting out

Post by DannagE »

Oh yeah! Seems I narrowed the problem down to be ONLY happening on VISTA. Is there some sort of setting that needs to be changed on the NAS to say that it is running on VISTA?

Or is there a setting in Vista to stop it from happening?

I started to watch a movie on a pc with XP on and my laptop which is Vista Buisiness. Both running off the NAS as the same time playing with the same software (latest media player classic) both wired, both running through the same router!

But the Vista pc stopped playing 1 hour into the movie and the XP pc kept going.

Any idea what is causing this QNAP?

Dan
Keigotw
Starting out

Post by Keigotw »

DannagE wrote:Oh yeah! Seems I narrowed the problem down to be ONLY happening on VISTA. Is there some sort of setting that needs to be changed on the NAS to say that it is running on VISTA?

Or is there a setting in Vista to stop it from happening?

I started to watch a movie on a pc with XP on and my laptop which is Vista Buisiness. Both running off the NAS as the same time playing with the same software (latest media player classic) both wired, both running through the same router!

But the Vista pc stopped playing 1 hour into the movie and the XP pc kept going.

Any idea what is causing this QNAP?

Dan
I can confirm that
it does the same thing on me on Vista
but on my wife's PC which is win XP, she said it never paused before
before I had Ts-201 and on vista was ok

anyways I got another Ts-209 and now testing it again and see if it would do the same as the other ts-209

Now I am transfering from one Ts-209 to Another Ts-209
the speed is only 5.16mb/sec ???!!! is that normal???
I got 1 linksys SD2008 gigabit hub
QNAPFan
QNAP Staff

new image release!!

Post by QNAPFan »

maybe you can try the new image, it should fix this issue!
ftp://csdread:csdread@ftp.qnap.com/NAS/ ... -1.1.2.img
Keigotw
Starting out

Re: new image release!!

Post by Keigotw »

QNAPFan wrote:maybe you can try the new image, it should fix this issue!
ftp://csdread:csdread@ftp.qnap.com/NAS/ ... -1.1.2.img
Thanks, will test it
but the 1st thing I notice after updating with this firmware
now Ts-209 shows on the Vista network folder
so that is good

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”