Migrate (System) volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
baronfunke
New here

Migrate (System) volume

Post by baronfunke »

Hello - I was wondering if there is a way in QTS 4.3.3 to migrate the system files from one volume to another within the same storage pool. I'm running a TS-853A, and there's only one volume currently, which runs the OS as well as hosting all the data and shares (which I'm pretty sure is affecting performance, as well as SMART testing and volume rebuild time); I have created a new volume to migrate the system data to, but I'm not sure if there's a known way to do that without losing data. My other NAS (TVS-471) worked fine rebuilding the system drive after I lost it, but the data was on iSCSI volumes rather than just shared storage.
P3R
Guru

Re: Migrate (System) volume

Post by P3R »

The question is confusing as a new volume within the same storage pool will in most cases not change things dramatically.

Please explain in more detail the problems noticed and exact configuration of physical disks, RAID Groups, storage pools and volumes.

The QTS build date never hurts to add as well.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ianmacd
Getting the hang of things

Post by ianmacd »

I think I have a similar question if I understood the OP correctly.

I have a ts-1635 (currently) and it has 8 x 3TB Reds as raid6 running Firmware version 4.3.3.0238 Build 20170703. I have acquired some 500GB SSD's and wanted to use them for 'faster' storage for a few things and also would like the system files and swap to be on them too.

From what I understand, it creates the system files at initial install on the first pool/volume so is there anyway to tell it to use the new volume/pool for these files instead short of rebuilding the entire NAS and building the SSD's first?

Thanks.

Ian.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

ianmacd wrote:I think I have a similar question if I understood the OP correctly.

I have a ts-1635 (currently) and it has 8 x 3TB Reds as raid6 running Firmware version 4.3.3.0238 Build 20170703. I have acquired some 500GB SSD's and wanted to use them for 'faster' storage for a few things and also would like the system files and swap to be on them too.

From what I understand, it creates the system files at initial install on the first pool/volume so is there anyway to tell it to use the new volume/pool for these files instead short of rebuilding the entire NAS and building the SSD's first?

Thanks.

Ian.
I don't know if anyone else has tried this or has documented procedure from Qnap but my idea would be:
Have backups first - and make no guarantees!

1.Backup the system config, shutdown and remove HDDs
2.Insert the SSDs and turn on, then install from scratch. This will put another "system" volume on the SSDs, including default apps and shares and then restore from config file you've saved.
3.Hot insert the HDDs, I think it should see the HDDs as another volume (but not system volume)
4.Assuming the existing HDD volume was thin and not occupying the entire pool create another volume and copy data from existing HDD shares to new HDD volume.
5.Delete the old "system" volume on the HDDs.
6.Shutdown and restart, it should now see the SSDs as the system RG/volume and HDDs as another RG/volume.!
ianmacd
Getting the hang of things

Post by ianmacd »

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking something similar but I did create it as thick not expecting to need to make it any smaller. I suspect a nuke and restore may be the better option as I am not sure how happy it would be if I didn't do step 4&5.

Ian.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”